What is the Best Breed of Rabbit?

What is the best breed of Rabbit?

• Total voters

Jason Butcher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am new to rabbit farming and I was wondering what would be the best docile breed?

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New Zealands tend to have litters that are too large and need intervention to keep all the kits alive. Some cull the smallest and some shelve them. Overall my experience with New Zealands is that they are not docile and even are more aggressive.

Silver Fox are my personal favorite for many reasons, one being temperament and another is I never lose a kit.

However, in general crosses or complete meat mutts are the way most meat breeders go. I did NZW/SF for a few years. If you are interested in pelts, then you might want to look at the fur of each breed. I do Silver Foxes only now.

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to chime in and say that I love breeding Silver Foxes. Ours have great temperaments and have been for the most part easy to breed.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We Breed Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarves for pets and for show. Of the 2, the lops are far more docile in general. They are more content to chill on the couch with you, where the ND's are a more energetic species that wants to play and explore. Exceptions exist as with any animal, rabbits can and do have personalities of their own.We've got 4 of the most laid back Netherlands I've ever seen, and alos several that are more typical of the breed. On the flip side, I've got one HL doe that's an absolute rocket and has to be in everyone's business all the time.

If you're looking for meat rabbits (since you said you're farming), I like standard rex's over NZ's and californians. They don't get quite as big, but their fur is amazing and they're typically mellow. Fair warning though, a rex will open you up of they decide to bite you, and mature does can get super territorial on occasion.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My Californian/NZ crosses do not like being held or messed with. They allow a small amount of petting and occasionally a few minutes of cuddle time. But they have thick soft pure white pelts depending on what your looking for. I'm starting to lean towards silver fox as I look into other breeds. And now have a mutt that is dual purpose.... It depends really on what you are looking for. I only really know the Californian and New Zealand breeds. Not the most docile.... (Side note, mine only has 3-5 in a litter...)

Campion and Dandelion

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to rabbit farming and I was wondering what would be the best docile breed?
Hi! I think the most friendly and sociable rabbits are Lionheads. They are very outgoing, like to be held, can be mixed with Angoras to harvest fur but still have the same personality, and are just all around perfect bunnies!💖🐇