1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the Best Breed of Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by Jason Butcher, Jun 12, 2018.

?

What is the best breed of Rabbit?

1. Lops

25.0%
  2. Rex

25.0%
  3. Flemish Giant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Netherland Dwarf

25.0%
  5. New Zealand White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Californian

25.0%
  7. Silver fox

50.0%
  8. Angora

12.5%
  9. Lionhead

25.0%
  10. Beveren

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 12, 2018
    Jason Butcher

Jason Butcher Exploring the pasture

I am new to rabbit farming and I was wondering what would be the best docile breed?

2. Jun 12, 2018
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Well bred silver foxes are doll babies.

3. Jun 12, 2018
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Loving the herd life

New Zealands tend to have litters that are too large and need intervention to keep all the kits alive. Some cull the smallest and some shelve them. Overall my experience with New Zealands is that they are not docile and even are more aggressive.

Silver Fox are my personal favorite for many reasons, one being temperament and another is I never lose a kit.

However, in general crosses or complete meat mutts are the way most meat breeders go. I did NZW/SF for a few years. If you are interested in pelts, then you might want to look at the fur of each breed. I do Silver Foxes only now.

4. Jun 12, 2018
    Jason Butcher

Well I am getting Netherland Dwarfs from a breeder, who breeds for show.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  5. Jun 12, 2018
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

Personally Wouldn't describe many ND as docile.... small. Yes... but hopefully if you'v found a good breeder they consider temperamnt when they breed.

6. Jun 12, 2018
    Jason Butcher

7. Jun 12, 2018
    Marie28

Marie28 Loving the herd life

I have to chime in and say that I love breeding Silver Foxes. Ours have great temperaments and have been for the most part easy to breed.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  8. Jun 18, 2018
    Sundragons

Sundragons Loving the herd life

We Breed Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarves for pets and for show. Of the 2, the lops are far more docile in general. They are more content to chill on the couch with you, where the ND's are a more energetic species that wants to play and explore. Exceptions exist as with any animal, rabbits can and do have personalities of their own.We've got 4 of the most laid back Netherlands I've ever seen, and alos several that are more typical of the breed. On the flip side, I've got one HL doe that's an absolute rocket and has to be in everyone's business all the time.

If you're looking for meat rabbits (since you said you're farming), I like standard rex's over NZ's and californians. They don't get quite as big, but their fur is amazing and they're typically mellow. Fair warning though, a rex will open you up of they decide to bite you, and mature does can get super territorial on occasion.

Gingerpool and MatthewsHomestead like this.
  9. Jul 23, 2018
    MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Loving the herd life

My Californian/NZ crosses do not like being held or messed with. They allow a small amount of petting and occasionally a few minutes of cuddle time. But they have thick soft pure white pelts depending on what your looking for. I'm starting to lean towards silver fox as I look into other breeds. And now have a mutt that is dual purpose.... It depends really on what you are looking for. I only really know the Californian and New Zealand breeds. Not the most docile.... (Side note, mine only has 3-5 in a litter...)