What is the Best Breed of Rabbit?

What is the best breed of Rabbit?

• Total voters

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Actually, lionheads can't be bred to angoras for the long wool, the lionhead mane gene is different than the angora longwool gene. BunnyLady just posted a genetic discussion on that. (Thanks, BunnyLady!)

If you're getting Netherland Dwarfs, for 'farming' then it will be for farming for the pet or show trade since they're not a decent meat breed and don't have big pelts or fiber to harvest.

Check out the Federal laws regarding pet animal sales, they're different than for livestock. Other than the differences in Federal laws between pets and livestock, PETA can't legally touch livestock and livestock can be advertised on Craig'sList. I'm sure there's more differences. Check your own state laws as well, it's always good to know them when starting a new venture.

A friend of mine breeds Holland Lops and NDs for the pet trade, but she only has a few rabbits and doesn't have a large set up. She does get a high price for pet rabbits, but with the NDs - since they're dwarfs - they have fairly small litters and there's also something involving the dwarf gene which creates 'peanuts' which don't usually survive.

If I were breeding for the pet trade, I'd probably pick Rexes or since they have larger litters and are nice plushy bunnies. They can also be sold as a meat rabbit, perhaps? Temperament is also critical in the pet trade so breed for temperament among other criteria. If you get a vicious rabbit, eat it, don't breed it.

Last edited:

Rex79

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about rabbit breeds recently and only have experience of Rexes and New Zealand Whites.

Rexes are very docile and their lovely velvet fur is wonderful. I found the NZW to be wild and have a tendency to bite.

I can't seem to find Silver Foxes in the UK, are they not available here?

I came across a breed call a Belgian Hare which has been used for meat in the past - does anyone have any experience of this breed. They are a rabbit rather than a hare but have long ears and the body shape of a hare. Would these make a good meat breed?

Latest posts