What is the Best Milking Animal?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Welcome from Northern minnesota! We just entered into the beautiful world of goats and I originally wanted Nigerians but after visiting a local alpine farm I got sucker punched into the breed. Hahaha! Then a friend wanted me to go with to pick out her baby goat and I got picked by two of them... a nubian/sanaan and an alpine. We now have the snubian and alpine doe along with an alpine wether who is a riot. Just like dogs! We'll be adding in another doe next year and I'm wanting full nubian or another alpine. Our three follow us along with our two dogs when we are out doing yard work and building things. One we call the garage goat because he is always near my husband when he's working on projects out there. They are absolutely the light of our lives (we have no kids yet). But honestly, I would look around and see if you can't visit with a near by farm and see if the breed is right for you. That's where I got my best idea of what they were like individually. Good luck!

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Send me a message if you'd like some names of Nigerian Dwarf- or any other dairy goat breeds- in Florida. We are closer to Tampa and my daughter is very active in 4-H and does 6-8 shows a year in Florida so we know lots of breeders.

We have ADGA registered Nigerian dwarfs and Lamachas. If you have registered goats from good genetics and care for them well you will have no probem selling babies in Florida. :) This year (and the last two) I have people wanting more goats than I have- and I don't advertise much (just participate in some Facebook farm groups and show) or anything. I have 2/3 goats that were born yesterday reserved already and a list of people who want Nigerian Dwarfs.

ADGA registered goats gives you 4-H and FFA kids as customers as well as people who want to show.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll toss in my $.02. A pair of goats will likely provide you with all the milk you need at a huge fraction of the cost of feed. I talked with a dairy owner and she feeds roughly 9 pounds of feed per goat. Their dairy cows (granted full size production cows) are fed in the neighborhood of 90 pounds of feed a day. The goats also out produce the dairy cows in pounds of feed v. pounds of milk. I don't know what a mini cow would eat but I'm certain it will be more per day than 2 goats.

We have 16 adult goats and 7 babies (both Nigerians and full size) and they don't utilize as much area as our cow and yearling heifer. As others have said, be careful. We started with 2 Nigerian babies last year (June) and it spiraled out of control from there.

Fish sticks

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Fantastic thread! Even though I'm not debating between cows and goats, you all were very thoughtful and thorough with the info you gave. I'm so thankful to have found y'all.