What is the best way to "sanitize" a sheep pen?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

Just wanted to ask, what is the best way to "sanitize" a sheep pen?

One of our sheep ewes caught the dreaded "pink eye" again...I noticed that no sheep caught the pink eye again until I removed some sheep panels and allowed some sheep into the quarantine area...my bad!

Is there a way to effectively sanitize a sheep pen or is it a lost cause?

I was thinking to mix up a bleach/water solution and spray the quarantine area with it...but, as always, not so sure this would work.

Please help me our if you can!

Thank you,

Soar

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've heard of folks using bleach to "sterilize" areas, but it's pretty hard on everything it touches. Another product that I've heard a lot of folks talk about and never heard any negative press is Oxine. http://www.bio-cide.com/oxine/ I understand it is a cleared sanitizer for food production areas, so I take that as a pretty safe product to use. I've never used it.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day,perhaps the following could be of help to you.First ,carefully examine the eye under the lids to make sure its not a seed trapped in there,this can cause a scratch on the eye and cause irritation."In days of old" I used to use a product for Mastitis in cattle(it comes in a tube with a nozzle and you just squeeze a little under the lid and lightly massage it.the cream contains antibiotics and prevents any infection developing.

If I had to house stock I would be developing a "deep litter" system as once it is "active" the bacteria and heat will control the smells and adverse bacteria.It's a little expensive to set-up but you only clean it out once a year and all that great compost goes onto your pastures to feed them...T.O.R.