What is this yellow flower?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_0634.JPG
wild growing in north Texas. Is it Black-eyed Susan's?

I need to move goats into another area. Many prospective areas are covered with these yellow wild flowers.

I am trying to get some better pasture rotation. I have some areas that can use some brush eaters but with recent issues, I can imagine poisoning them all with some toxic to them plants in the new areas. I'm having a rough year with them this year

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan or Brown-eyed Susan) to me. Several sources seem to think it is potentially harmful to livestock, though I haven't seen anything specific to goats yet.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I live just north of Tyler and we have them on our land. My sheep and horses eat them and none of them are sick or dead. :lol: They came up in my garden and I just let them grow because they are so pretty. Sorry that you are having a rough year, but I don't think the Black Eyed Susans will hurt your animals.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome! I will move them there in the next week. I don't think anything else is there that is great in numbers. There is poison ivy and other great things they love.

I know the seller, the one I bought my first goats from, warned me about yellow flowers....I didn't think it was these. I have some similar size/same color ones that do not have the black/brown center. So maybe it was those....

Thanks for all the replies