What is this?

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So when I got my new little heifer calf I noticed she had a bald spot above her left nostril where the hair and slimy nose part meets that was about the size of a dime, I figured it was from the halter they had on her rubbing it. Well since she's been here it's gotten bigger and has spread across her left eye. Now she also has these weird wart looking bumps on the same side. I tried to get a picture of it but the steer decided he was going to chase the heifer away from me. I managed to get two of the bumps but they're blurry and dark. Photobucket wouldn't let me resize them but here are the links to the pictures.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/runnin_wild56/0719022045.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/runnin_wild56/0719022046.jpg

What do yall think it is?

Thanks!

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it barn itch (ringworm)? I'd try spraying it with Blue Kote.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've not seen any live on them, but I looked up a picture of ringworm in cattle and it does look a lot like that. Where can I get Blue Kote? And could my other 3 get it?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Any farm supply store should have it--I think it's Dr. Naylor's Blu Kote. I think it's gentian violet. Or blue. And yep, the others can get it! It's pretty common around here. Others may have a better cure.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks!

Could people or other species catch it from her? Sorry if that's a stupid question lol.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, people and other species get ringworm. It is not usually not a problem in cattle when there is plenty of sunshine. Ours have outbreaks in winter when there is less sunshine. Not a big problem, mostly cosmetic. We never treat for it.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew humans and other species could get it, I've had them and my cousins have when we were kids, but I wasn't sure if I could get it from her or not lol. It's been really sunny here up until about a week or two ago and it started raining finally, but even then it was only for a few days, could that have made it worse?

redtailgal

Reaction score
If it got wet and stayed wet for a little while, then yes, that would make it worse.

BLue kote should do the trick. I had a poorly Jersey once who had some pretty bad barn rot (ringworm). Bluecoat didnt do the trick on her because it was just so bad. I ended up washing the area in a bleach solution daily for three days and it cleared up.

I would definately try the blue cote first.

You'll need to change out her halter as well, she could re-infect herself from her halter. Let her halter sit in the sunshine without getting wet for a week or so (I'd lay it in a window sill) or run it thru the washer with hot water.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She doesn't have a halter on her at the moment, I took it off a few weeks ago, the other calves started chewing it :rolleyes:

Latest posts