What is Tiff44 Hay?

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know it's horse hay, but what exactly is it? What I know is that around my neck of the woods a horse can colic on Bermuda, or some horses can. I have one of those horses. The only hay we have found is fescue/bermuda mix that is reasonably priced. Alfalfa, which is ideal is $11 or $12 a bale, IF you can find it. So I was wondering how does Tiff44 compare to alfalfa and bermuda? Or has anyone, other than me had a vet tell them that a horse can colic on bermuda?

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Figures, that stuff is $8 a bale, but at least I can find it. As expensive as alfalfa is, you would think more people would grow it. Thanks, Melissa

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Alfalfa doesn't grow well south of KY. It's expensive because it's trucked in.

I HATE burmuda for horses. Sure, any horse can colic on any hay...but the number of colics I've seen from horses whos owner switched to burmuda is high. It's too fine, and balls up in the gut.

If you must feed burmuda, be sure to increase salt intake and make sure your water is never frozen or stale.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Frozen/cold water is what did it 2 years ago. I have a 16 gallon heated buck now and "knock on wood" he's been doing good. I do by fescue/bermuda/orchard mix that he likes and the goats LOVE. I was wanting to add some alfalfa to the goats daily hay and thought if I could find some mixed I'd get some for the horse too. Guess I'll have to stick with my mixed hay and feed to goats alfalfa pellets with their daily grain.

Should I give my buck alfalfa pellets instead of grain when he's "older"? He's now 7 weeks old and eating a little grain and hay with the girls.

What I call "grain" is really goat pellets/food. I know "grain" can mean different things to different people.

ETA: I do top off the water every other day, so not stale. We only empty it once a month as it's IN the barn and it has no drain. I just stop topping it off and let it get low enough for me to empty. He also gets corn oil with his oats.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
My bucks get goat pellets. They work hard, and need the extra nutrition. My eldest buck even has to be on my lactation mix (goat pellets, alfalfa pellets and Calf Manna) to stay in good flesh.

It will depend upon your buck.

Latest posts