What is Wrong with the Old Girl?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well,here's the old girl today....definitely bigger.....but udder looks a bit off yet,so I'm guessing she's going to get bigger still.
IMG_9056.jpg
IMG_9052.jpg

Seems to be saying "You say I'm losing my waistline?''

rrekow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Was she pregnant? I noticed there hasn't been an update for quite some time. I'm dying to know haha!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh crikey.... I should have updated. She was VERY pregnant. She had triplets on 11th May...two ewe lambs and a ram lamb.....a bit of a complicated delivery as the first two came down at once with one backwards. The initial lamb extracted (backwards) was severely lacking in oxygen and had a number of fits. I had to do mouth-to-muzzle on her to start her breathing .The day after she passed absolutely black urine due to muscle breakdown....but now is a beautiful two month old. Her remaining siblings had less traumatic starts.
Right from the outset I got them all onto the bottle (having taken the first for total bottle feeding) as her milk usually fails pretty quickly. Only one side of her udder worked and she developed mastitis,so all 3 lambs have been bottle dependent. They are all now almost weaned.
The 'consort' was of the same breed,so she has 3 good lambs. Who he was is still unknown.....she still admits nothing! I'll post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never need much excuse to post pics. Here's the old girl,with new haircut and
IMG_9215.jpg
IMG_9212.jpg
IMG_9218.jpg
her 3 lambs (plus 2 orphans), lastly the the old girl and her son,Joe, and the first pic is of my little survivor,Arya.A few La Flèche chickens are in there,too.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_9221.jpg
Bonbean01....they can and do come into season again when lactating. The poor ewe must be exhausted.

Old Longface wasn't even supplementary fed until she was 3 weeks away from lambing. The lambs are now just over 8 weeks and this is her profile....note the large fat ridge over her tail. No teeth for 4 years and she manages all this (due largely to her vast appetite for the food placed out for her lambs).