What is your daily diet for your horses

MystificAK

Just born
Reaction score
I am fine tuning my nutrition plan for my horses for the winter and was curious what everyone feeds their horses to maintain their winter health, including things such as oats, cob, pellets, beet pulp, hay..... maybe add your location in there so we can all known what the weather is like in your area...

Thank you :)

yankee'n'moxie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll be first...

I am in Maine. I have two horses, and they eat different stuff, so I will list them separately.

My 8 year old STBD gelding (Yankee) is one Blue Seal Trotter (it has 14% protien, and 3% fat). Right now he is eating 1 1/2 qts of it, twice a day, but it usually goes up a bit in the winter. I also add in beet pulp, not necessarily for extra weight, but for a nice warm meal. Usually somewhere around 2 qts of it dry, and then I soak it (obviously).

My late teens-early twenties STBD x Appy mare is on Blue Seal SBP 14-10 (14% protien, 10% fat), 2 qts, twice a day, and again, it goes up in the winter. And I add beet pulp to her diet too.

They share a bale of hay a day (half bale in the morning, and half bale at night). If they weather is nice, they go out to pasture instead of having hay (but there won't be any grass in the winter, so if they go out to pasture, they will get hay out there). Let me know if you guys have questions, I will try to answer them as best as I can.

meg09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I moved away a yr ago so my moms been feeding but am moving back and will have all four w me in april. Right now they are getting iat/forage in the am and alfalfa at night.. I will proably start adding a mix of senior, ricebrand, and a&m as a treat once or twice a week and adjust anything else according to what they need.