What is your favorite Cattle Breed?

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Just read about the Gascon breed of cattle in France...got to say they are a nice breed.

cherylepreston

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all, just joined. I WAS going to put 1 young Angus out in my pasture and butcher in the fall, but no one mentions Angus for meat. So now I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree......
I've got 1+ fenced acre on 10 wooded acres and raise ducks and fish in my pond and am just looking to put something out in the pasture that I may possibly (or not) butcher. Are Angus high-maintenance? I live in western NC in the foothills and get some snow in Jan/Feb.:/ I need something friendly that neighbor hood kids will want to pet from the fence line

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
cherylepreston said:
Hi all, just joined. I WAS going to put 1 young Angus out in my pasture and butcher in the fall, but no one mentions Angus for meat. So now I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree......
I've got 1+ fenced acre on 10 wooded acres and raise ducks and fish in my pond and am just looking to put something out in the pasture that I may possibly (or not) butcher. Are Angus high-maintenance? I live in western NC in the foothills and get some snow in Jan/Feb.:/ I need something friendly that neighbor hood kids will want to pet from the fence line
If you really want to know why nobody listed Angus as their favorite, I suggest reading this thread: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14743

As mentioned in there, Angus is far too popular and too variable as far as docility and temperament is concerned. It definitely is not something I would recommend any newbie to start with because you could end up with an animal that isn't the tamest individual to make a pet out of. And I definitely wouldn't make a pet out of an animal that I have the intention of raising for meat either!! You get too attached to these animals, and it makes it all that bit harder for you to say good-bye come butchering time. High-maintenance depends on where you buy your calf from. If it's from a farm that has to feed its cows grain every so often to keep them in shape, yes he would be high-maintenance. If you get it from a farm that raises their cows on grass and makes them work for a living, no.

So what breed should you get? Angus or a Herf-Angus cross, esp. if you know what to look for. :)

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I LOVE my Mini Jersey. She is so sweet and a great milker. When I was a kid, I showed Milking Shorthorns. I still love them also. I just like having a smaller cow.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Speckle Park are my favorite - I have had a few pens of them in the feedlot I work at - they are quiet, healthy, easy to work with, always eating and look so tasty! Seem to finish very well.

Other favorites are Shorthorn, Belgian Blue, Maine Anjou, Tarentaise and even the odd Limousin.

My very least favorite are Angus and Simmentals and crosses between these two breeds - hard to work with and cause a lot of grief!

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Braunvieh, I like them alot but there are so many.