What is your Livestock Guard Animal?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
What is your Livestock Guard Animal? Also how many and why them? Please share any other info you care to share about them!!

My LGD is an Anatolian Shepherd. Her name is Callie and she is four months old now. She wouldn't be able to really protect the goats if a predator were to come after them because she is still a bit to young and small, but she doesn't know that. She already growls and barks at anything she thinks is abnormal or strange. She was doing this at 9 weeks!! It is amazing how quickly these dogs mature.She lives with two Great Pyrenees' who are 100+ pounds and yet she somehow bosses them around. It is so funny. She loves them and they love her but she lets them know she's boss sometimes!! I had the opportunity to buy a Great Pyrenees, but I really wanted an Anatolian. I like how they have shorter hair so they can stay cool in the hot climate. I also like the look better and their fierceness. If they don't want something near their animals then they make it go away one way or another. When I was first getting into goats I knew I had to have an LGD because there are so many coyotes here, so I was reading up on goat LDG's and it seemed like everybody had an Anatolian and they loved them. So I became set on getting an Anatolian. I ended up becoming very fortunate and found Callie. She is an absolute angel and I couldn't love her more. It took a bit of training but she listens pretty good, in a sense. She sometimes sits and comes if you tell her to. But she DOES no what "NO" means. After alot of time she learned to not give you "love bites" but to give kisses, which she does quite often. She also comes into the house once a day just to hang out and get some love. I also go out there with her and I lie down on the ground and she will lay right with me and fall asleep. Her favorite thing in the world it to lay on her back and put her head on your lap as you are sitting down and if you stroke her head and her face then she will crash. She lives for it.

6788_june_2012_043.jpg

6788_june_2012_040.jpg

6788_5-_21-2012_028.jpg

BeccaJoVon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Callie looks like Max

4595_max_relaxin_in_whats_left_of_the_pond.jpg

He was 6 months June 1. This is my first experience with an LGD and boy is it ever an experience! We love Max, but I will sure be glad when he gets out of the puppy stage. He's pretty good with our sheep, but he still tries to "play" with the chickens and the ducks, which is why he's down at the pond--to "check on" the ducks. :rolleyes:

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
He is so handsome!! Callie has killed one chicken and tried for a few more but I caught her. She is only with the goats now, but some of the chickens do get in with her. She doesn't really mess with them unless they are in her food bin, then she chases them. lol

BeccaJoVon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Max is usually okay around the ducks and chickens until they start running and flapping, especially the ducks. We have Muscovy that can fly and get away, but the Pekin are vulnerable. Max knows "No," too, and will leave them alone as soon as I say No. I would like to be able to leave him alone with them, but I can't just yet.

Here is a picture of Max with my son:

4595_max_rj.jpg

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Callie and Max are such adorable, mischievous looking cutie-pies

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
These are our two LGD's. At not quite 10 weeks old, they have already begun their service as they scared the chipmunks back out of the barn when they tried like usual to get in and steal the livestock grain. We watched as chipmunks scurried over to sneak under the barn door and then, ooop! Immediately back out and over to the rock wall. LGD "1" - chipmunk "0"!

Wisdom
4090_wisdom_ride_home.jpg

Primo guarding his young turkey flock
4090_primo_guarding_turkey_chicks.jpg

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
These are my 2
3070_more_baby_pictures_006.jpg
3070_more_baby_pictures_005.jpg
I got them from the Humane Society. They are GP, Husky and Lab. They are fantastic with my goats and chickens. They are 5 months old.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Jerry, my llama is our guard. His primary job is the goat kids and he takes his job seriously. Why a llama? I've always wanted one and the opportunity arose to get him. He eats the same food (alfalfa pellets) and hay as the goats so it makes feeding time easy in the winter.

378681_2265318909997_233671867_n.jpg

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score