What is your Livestock Guard Animal?

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you Grazer and Beekissed!
I think we've found she's not actually actively "killing" them. She wants to "play" and kind of holds them...then they go into shock and die. At least she doesn't HIDE her problem from us. Brings the things to our sliding door like a cat would! I caught her the other day with a chicken...she was still alive. Boy did I "correct" her something qucik and fierce! I reinforced the "leave it" command we've been using and let me tell you...not only has she "remembered" what that command means...she also remembered who is the alpha *bitch*! She's now back on the "straight and narrow" path again!
I've noticed she's a lot more mellow when I leave the goat gate open and she has at least ONE of the goats around her all day. So now she's allowed to hang out with Flora - our most tolerant and best escape artist doe!
Just FYI - I would run her every day when i get home. She plays fetch obsessively...and will fetch anything you throw! Even eggs! When she's done, she's done though. Like most LGDs...she's not treat bribe-able...her treat/reward is LOTS of love and rubs! She hates being ignored (punishment). and fetch is definitely one of her favorites!

LOVE Stefany! She's a beaut! Not only is she a gorgeous guardian...you can get spinning fiber from her as well!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
My dog, Jake, is definitely treat bribeable....if he had oppositional thumbs he would write himself up a sign that said, "Will work for food...will do just about anything for food!!!"

Actually, all my dogs responded to treat bribes...could be that part where animals are like their owners. :D