What kind of egg is this!?!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, here's the monster egg compared to chicken eggs, normal sized chicken eggs, even good sized chicken eggs like the brown one...

Now, I do have a turkey, a goose (gender unknown) and 3 ducks (also gender unknown) but I think the ducks are too young, the goose is a season layer, and while Derp the turkey is mature, she's from this spring and it isn't common for them to lay in their first fall...

This egg is huge, and heavy! Is it a mishap? If it's a turkey or goose egg it's infertile anyway, but wow, what a surprise to find in the chicken coop. I candled it and it looks normal inside, single yolk, not an "egg in an egg"...

Just WTH?!

IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like a really really big chicken egg to me! I have some girls who do this every now and then, I tell them they're making too much whites and they'd better cool it.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's what I thought, like man that thing is huge (poor hen!) and almost has to be a chicken egg because as far as I know, ducks, geese, and turkey eggs aren't brown!

I'm gonna try to hatch it, lol.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haha, no, I don't live in El Paso anymore, no more White Sands Missle Range fallout to consider.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probable chicken but possible turkey. Every now and then have seen a brownish turkey egg...most likely a super sized chicken egg. Any of the hens got some age on them? Usually from an older hen.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My vote is for chicken egg. I get those sometimes, it just has a lot of white in it. You could make a lemon meringue pie!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our turkey hen lays an egg about that size, but it is off white, with light brown, raised speckles on it. The shell is VERY thick & probably would be hard to candle.

Years ago, my ex bought 6 Buff Orpnigton pullets. Shortly after they started laying, I found a massive egg, with a huge yolk. It was even bigger than yours - it filled the palm of my hand. :ep I was shocked & felt so bad for the hen that laid it! Never had another one that size, even with all the chickens we have now.

Last edited:

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jan, no they are all pullets. It has to be a chicken egg really and it's hard to really show the size since I have big hands lol. It is about the size of a goose egg though, it measures 4 inches long and 6.5 around.