What meds can Alpacas & Llamas have and what can't they have....

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
After our young Alpaca got de-gloved on his side by our mini bull and we had the vet out to stitch him up, I thought I should have a list of what can and can not be used on Llamas & Alpacas for anitbiotics, wound care, best wormers and all around meds since our vet is not real familiar with their treatment. Is their any list or could someone make up a list that I could keep on hand and also print one for my vet. thank you :D

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Banamine 1cc per 100 lbs - pain med (not used more than 3 days in a row)
Long Acting Penicillin 4cc per 100 lbs (every other day or once a day depending on problem)
Penicillin - 3cc per 100 lbs (twice a day)
Naxcel, Excenel - 1cc per 50 lbs - antibiotic (once a day)
Excede (long acting Naxcel) - 1cc per 40 lbs (done once every 4 days)
Ivomec - 1cc per 70 lbs (wormer) - should be given injection
Safeguard - 1cc per 10 lbs or 10cc per 100 lbs (wormer) - given orally
Corid - follow directions on bottle (wormer for coccidia) - put in drinking water
CDT - 2cc for alpacas, 3cc for llamas - vaccine

Those are the basics. Depending on if you get into breeding is whether you have stuff like Oxytocin and Estrumate on hand.

I'd say to verify those doses with your local vet but apparently you don't have that option. The dosages for the wormers may be different in your area.

I also think there is some sort of internet forum for vets on alpacas. I know my alpaca vet is on one of them. They could really answer any questions for your vet.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for that. I will let him know also. He has attended some info on them, but does not deal with them daily etc....

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Banamine 1cc per 100 lbs - pain med (not used more than 3 days in a row)
Long Acting Penicillin 4cc per 100 lbs (every other day or once a day depending on problem)
Penicillin - 3cc per 100 lbs (twice a day)
Naxcel, Excenel - 1cc per 50 lbs - antibiotic (once a day)
Excede (long acting Naxcel) - 1cc per 40 lbs (done once every 4 days)
Ivomec - 1cc per 70 lbs (wormer) - should be given injection
Safeguard - 1cc per 10 lbs or 10cc per 100 lbs (wormer) - given orally
Corid - follow directions on bottle (wormer for coccidia) - put in drinking water
CDT - 2cc for alpacas, 3cc for llamas - vaccine

Those are the basics. Depending on if you get into breeding is whether you have stuff like Oxytocin and Estrumate on hand.

I'd say to verify those doses with your local vet but apparently you don't have that option. The dosages for the wormers may be different in your area.

I also think there is some sort of internet forum for vets on alpacas. I know my alpaca vet is on one of them. They could really answer any questions for your vet.
Karen,
I could not find any specifics about Ivomec. I have Ivomec pour-on for cattle (5mg ivermectin/mL) is that what you are talking about or do I need a different ivomec? (Planning to do a preventative deworming treatment).

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You need the injectible for alpacas/llamas. The injectible for cattle (1%) is what most alpaca breeders buy.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
You need the injectible for alpacas/llamas. The injectible for cattle (1%) is what most alpaca breeders buy.
Thanks! (off to the store...)
So glad to have you on the forum!!! My vet only rolls his eyes if I mention the A or L words :(.