What microscope for fecals?

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That should be sufficient. I bought one for my grand daughter, now I use it and she "borrows" it. LOL If you don't have the McMaster slides, I bought a kit from Amazon, here's a link.

I was going to throw it away last year but decided to keep it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere to put the slides. The McMaster slides have 2 blue line grids on them, you focus on the lines for a clear image, then you can see the worm eggs.

so you need to have light up from under the slide? Yes, his funeral was today. It was more of a blessing really. He was 88 but spent the last four years in a nursing home after having a stroke. He has not known anyone for the last 2 years. He just laid there and slept. He had to eat pureed food which he didn't eat much of anyway. He weighed only 62 lbs.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't gotten my slide jet, but I wanted to try my microscope. I put a drop of feces/solution on a blank slide and I can't make out a darn thing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With the McMaster slide you focus on the blue lines ant then you can see the worm eggs.

lilipansy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You need a 10x magnification mic. This is what I have and it works great: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JROROU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use little butter containers to collect the fecals (free), a tea strainer ($1.50 at Walmart), and old spoon (free), a shot glass to strain the mixed fecals into ($1 at Walmart), a medicine dropper ($1.50 at Walgreens) to load the slide with and an Eggzamin McMaster slide ($18 on line, free shipping). It works great and I run fecals on my herd often. I use the sugar solution instead of a salt one because I worry about corrosion on my mic.

Latest posts