What plants are toxic for goats?

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right area or not, but I have been googling up a storm trying to figure out what I should be ripping out of the soon to be goat area. Is there a place, or a site, that has detailed descriptions/pictures of the toxic plants so I know what Im looking for?
I know pokeweed, nightshade, cherry, and swamp weed but thats about it :(

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
BlueMoonFarms said:
Not sure if this is in the right area or not, but I have been googling up a storm trying to figure out what I should be ripping out of the soon to be goat area. Is there a place, or a site, that has detailed descriptions/pictures of the toxic plants so I know what Im looking for?
Azealas, moldy straw or hay is a big one

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
BlueMoonFarms said:
Azealas, moldy straw or hay is a big one
Thankfully no Azealas, and how do you know if the straw/hay is moldy? I know that dusty hay is bad, but do you tell the mold from the smell? Or will I be able to see it right away?

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
lapiloto said:
Your State Extension office might have a list of poisonous plants in your area. I took pictures and sent them in to mine and they helped me identify some plants I wasn't sure of.

Here's a link to a helpful list from Fias Co Farm- http://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm
I might just have to do that. There are some bushes in the back area where we want to put the second fence. Its green with red berrys on it, looks pretty close to a holly bush but with rounded leaves. And we have a tree back there that kinda looks like a cherry, but were not sure about it :/

And thank you for the link!

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
BlueMoonFarms said:
lapiloto said:
Your State Extension office might have a list of poisonous plants in your area. I took pictures and sent them in to mine and they helped me identify some plants I wasn't sure of.

Here's a link to a helpful list from Fias Co Farm- http://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm
I might just have to do that. There are some bushes in the back area where we want to put the second fence. Its green with red berrys on it, looks pretty close to a holly bush but with rounded leaves. And we have a tree back there that kinda looks like a cherry, but were not sure about it :/

you can post pics and we will help too

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
BlueMoonFarms said:
lapiloto said:

you can post pics and we will help too
I am so about to go do that!
Thank you!

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Possible Cherry tree #1
6998_img_8736.jpg

Possible Cherry tree #2
6998_img_8737.jpg

plant #3 *two/three big bushes of this stuff*
6998_img_8739.jpg

Plant #4 *This is Elderberry right? Toxic leaves and so fourth?*
6998_img_8741.jpg

Plant #5
6998_img_8742.jpg

Plant #6 *This stuff is everywhere*
6998_img_8744.jpg

Plant #7 *This stuff grows in thick rolling bunches, and when it drys its like tumble weed*
6998_img_8745.jpg

Plant #8
6998_img_8746.jpg

Plant #9
6998_img_8747.jpg

And #10 *Just to be sure this is deadly Nightshade right?*
6998_img_8748.jpg