What Should I Feed My ND Kids?

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I currently have 2 Nigerian does, at 4 moths old. They were on 12% sweet feed grain, but I realized that was not the healthiest choice and switched to Dumor Goat Feed for kids and dairy goats. 1/2 a cup per day each. Should I up the amount at all? How long should they stay on grain? They will have some forage available this summer, and hay (not alfalfa hay). When can I introduce alfalfa pellets? ( those are good right?) And how much grain/alfalfa pellets should I be feeding them? And a couple months from now? Thank for answering! Cant wait to get to know everyone!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello. Sorry no one replied.
I feed mine kid starter. Plus alfalfa pellets. My young kids get half a cup twice a day between the two of them. The alfalfa pellets I only use as a way to get my goats to follow me to the pen and only a handful. Unlimited hay. I use horse quality grass hay with Timothy and a little alfalfa.

Kass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello. Sorry no one replied.
I feed mine kid starter. Plus alfalfa pellets. My young kids get half a cup twice a day between the two of them. The alfalfa pellets I only use as a way to get my goats to follow me to the pen and only a handful. Unlimited hay. I use horse quality grass hay with Timothy and a little alfalfa.
What alfalfa pellets do you use? I got the horse ones for my goats but they don't want to try them.

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Correct, sweet feed is not the best for them.
Yeah, our goats don’t like alfalfa pellets either. 😉 I think if you could find small pellets, they might like it better We haven’t been able to find anything smaller. We feed our kids ADM medicated 16% up to 1 1/2 cups twice a day depending on what condition they’re in. We feed our goats grain at all ages. (Since we're a dairy, all our does are either growing, pregnant, or milking) They also get free choice orchard/alfalfa hay and pure alfalfa when they're miking. And we keep them on a bottle until 6 months. Crazy, I know, but they grow so much better. Since yours aren't on a bottle, it’s really fine. We’ve weaned them at 10 weeks years ago, and they did just fine.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
What alfalfa pellets do you use? I got the horse ones for my goats but they don't want to try them.
My young kids won't try them. My older goats eat them though. These I buy are universal. I have alfalfa pellets but next bag I want the grass mixed ones. I mixed a bit of the starter with the pellets to get the older ones to eat them.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed (here in Florida) the Dumor goat pellets, coastal hay, loose mineral year round and before breeding I add some alfalfa pellets and BOSS...
In order of importance ...fresh water, hay/forage, minerals, feed pellets
Feeding corn, dry dog food or sweet grain should be at the least "a seldom given treat" , they create more problems for the goats digestive system than they are worth in my opinion.
If you are looking for healthy treats, try thinly cut carrots, raisins or animal crackers.......
Congratulations on your new kids, goats are truly a source of entertainment and are amazing animals..:highfive:

Last edited: