what should i feed my show goat?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hey y’all homesteaders!!!

i have a nigerian dwarf show doe that i am currently at the fair for, but i wanted to ask what i should feed her.

i have been feeding just alfalfa hay since she was born on my farm. what other feed should i feed her? she will be bred in august as well.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
so i just finished showing and the lady said i needed more of a brisket on her

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she's not thin, I don't think you can feed her and get a better brisket on her.
Alfalfa hay is the best. Keep that up. If you want you can add 1/2 cup to a cup of goat grain to her diet you could bulk her up just a little more.
I think it's possible telling you she needs more brisket is a reference to what you should look for in a buck to breed her to to improve the line.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she's not thin, I don't think you can feed her and get a better brisket on her.
Alfalfa hay is the best. Keep that up. If you want you can add 1/2 cup to a cup of goat grain to her diet you could bulk her up just a little more.
I think it's possible telling you she needs more brisket is a reference to what you should look for in a buck to breed her to to improve the line.
oh ok. i did find a buck that will improve that width of her and her babies.

what grain do you suggest? i did for a while and i still could since i have a bit left, i fed her goat dominator+lamb slam+B.O.S.S with 2 flakes of hay with my breeding doe.
she got about a pound of that a day. i just fed her in the evening time for grain.

but what grain do you suggest for showing does?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing too fancy. A 16% protein dry pellet labeled for goats would be nice enough. Textured would also be okay if you're like me and don't have access to pellet. It will also help get her crazy friendly if she isn't already and if you wanted to feed her on the stand you could also get a leg up on her stand training.
In a goat's diet the hay is the important thing and the grain is secondary and it sounds like you've got the hay well covered with alfalfa hay. The grain is like frosting on the cake until they are in milk. Then it becomes a little more important, but it's still hay as the star.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nothing too fancy. A 16% protein dry pellet labeled for goats would be nice enough. Textured would also be okay if you're like me and don't have access to pellet. It will also help get her crazy friendly if she isn't already and if you wanted to feed her on the stand you could also get a leg up on her stand training.
In a goat's diet the hay is the important thing and the grain is secondary and it sounds like you've got the hay well covered with alfalfa hay. The grain is like frosting on the cake until they are in milk. Then it becomes a little more important, but it's still hay as the star.
ok. i do have access too pelleted and sweet feed. i’ll have to look too see for 16% protein grain.

she is really friendly bc she was a bottle baby. but she is now a year old. how much grain should i feed? how many pounds?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i found a dairy goat feed but it’s only 14%. does it need to be exactly 16%??

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
18% is better than 14%. She doesn't strictly need it, but if she's 40+ lbs a cup or two per day will meet the grain requirement. If she is less than 40, half it.