what should I not feed my pigs?

sixofus09

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Title says it all. Just want to know some things I shouldn't feed them. They are 12 weeks old. Duroc whites and Duroc yorks.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Besides raw meat, I haven't found a food they can't eat. Younger pigs you need to be more careful with.

Truscifi

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Garlic is a natural treatment for intestinal parasites. It is won't hurt them. I have read that you shouldn't feed them avocados, though I don't remember why.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Raw eggs, boiled are fine.
We feed our pigs raw eggs regularly & never had a problem. (Many other pig breeders do the same.) Now some folks out there say that cooked are better as the pig actually gets more nutrients out of them but there are times when I don't have time to cook them. If we get a load then I will cook up a big potful & mash them with the potato masher. Now of course I am talking here about eggs from here on the farm. I make ice cream for us with raw eggs & it is delicious but I always caution folks when purchasing eggs from the store - that is a totally different matter - goodness knows what conditions those eggs have been in!

Liz

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Raw eggs, boiled are fine.
We feed our pigs raw eggs regularly & never had a problem. (Many other pig breeders do the same.) Now some folks out there say that cooked are better as the pig actually gets more nutrients out of them but there are times when I don't have time to cook them. If we get a load then I will cook up a big potful & mash them with the potato masher. Now of course I am talking here about eggs from here on the farm. I make ice cream for us with raw eggs & it is delicious but I always caution folks when purchasing eggs from the store - that is a totally different matter - goodness knows what conditions those eggs have been in!

Liz
The following is an exert from the Merck Veterinary manual. www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/182701.htm

Biotin:
This vitamin is present in a highly available form in corn and soybean meal, but the biotin in grain sorghum, oats, barley, and wheat is less available to pigs. There is evidence that when these latter cereal grains are fed to swine, especially breeding animals, biotin may be marginal or deficient. Reproductive performance in sows appears to improve with biotin additions. Though not as clear, there is evidence that reproductive performance also is improved with addition of biotin to corn-soybean meal diets. In some instances, biotin supplementation decreased footpad lesions in adult pigs. For insurance, biotin supplementation is recommended, especially for sow diets. Raw eggs should not be fed to pigs because the egg white contains a protein, avidin, that complexes with biotin and renders it unavailable.

I have a lot of spare eggs around here with all my chicken projects running amok. I also feed a diet based on wheat and since I am breeding my sows, I boil the eggs. I chose not to take the chance of raw eggs with the volume they get. I have been known to throw some dirty or cracked raw eggs in their direction rather then risk breaking yet another egg in my pocket on the eventual trip back to the house. The source of the eggs is not relevant to the effects they have on the pig; just on us. :D