What should I use to kill my rabbits???

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I see that the use of nitrogen gas has become more popular in Europe as apposed to electric stunning in chicken processing. It is less common in the states but is also used, has anyone ever done this with rabbits? I know they use CO2 for many rodents but CO2 sets alarms off in the body and causes stress, Nitrogen/Argon is better but is more expensive.

For our chickens we just cut the jugular and bled them out, we only recently got out of birds and into rabbits and are looking for the best, for us, method of dispatch. Do to the industry the man of the house works in getting Nitrogen cheaply isn't an issue. Currently our choices are that or gun. We are leaning towards the Nitrogen, as it essentially slips them into a coma then death, then we could promptly bleed out.

publicradio

Herd lurker
Reaction score
What about an air rifle? My first choice would a semi-automatic .22 but I think it would make too much noise for my neighbors. An air rifle is silent, but if the first shot isn't clean I'm having to reload while the rabbit is suffering. I guess if it's point-blank, there's not a lot of room for error.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about an air rifle? My first choice would a semi-automatic .22 but I think it would make too much noise for my neighbors. An air rifle is silent, but if the first shot isn't clean I'm having to reload while the rabbit is suffering. I guess if it's point-blank, there's not a lot of room for error.

This is a very old thread.

publicradio

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Maybe so, but if it's evergreen content, isn't it better to resurrect an existing thread than to start a new one?

Kimi BK

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the Ballista Penetrating Bolt Gun from bunnyrancher.com?

Since most of the captive bolt guns we've found have been several hundred dollars, this $65 contraption sounds too good to be true... I think it would be easier for me to stomach than blunt force or broomstick, etc.. neck breaking methods.

(I haven't yet killed anything beyond fish, bugs, and germs, but hope to be processing chickens within a few weeks, and rabbits within the year...)

(my son used to be such an ardent animal lover that after I explained that I cleaned the milk jug with boiling water to kill the germs, he got mad at me and spit on the ground to help the germs, which is why I felt compelled to include germs in my list of victims, in the interest of full disclosure! :D =D)