What should I use to kill my rabbits???

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
I'd use a hand bb gun, don't want a long ol shotgun type for such a small thing. We have a shotgun, I forget what it is and the Glock. I just have how freaking loud guns and all are.
a .22's not too loud. however, I'm not sure I'd use one on our larger sheep. probably would work, but I'm big on one-shot-one-kill, I don't ever want to need a second shot.

Marinarawr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've only used .22 rifle and air rifle to put down rabbits and I much prefer the air rifle. I agree to get the metal pellets. I just set them on the lawn and while they're munching away I pop them in the top of the head. I try not to go straight down through but stand in front of the rabbit so that the pellet causes damage closer to the brain stem. It's quiet so the other rabbits don't get spooked and pellets are remarkably cheap. I don't know the specific model of air rifle I use but it's a break barrel Crosman w/ 1000-1200 fps (lead and lead free pellet speeds respectively). I also use lead free pellets because once a pellet exited the lower jaw of the rabbit and become lodged in it's chest. I'm sure I was making a mountain out of a mole-hill but I cut out the meat around the pellet for safety. So far I haven't had anything but a speedy and relatively clean death. They usually bleed a little from the mouth and occasionally from the ears.
My .22 experience was a bit more graphic: The one time I used a .22 it was a rifle, and the rabbit certainly died instantly but it's eyes were pushed out of their sockets. I have a picture of it because it was morbidly goofy looking but I still feel better about the more "gentle" air rifle. That being said, I don't have the same volume at slaughter time that would warrant a Wringer or a Zinger.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that I do always keep a whacker around just in case the one shot doesn't do it. I've never had that happen but a break barrel isn't the fastest for reloading.

InBox485

Just born
Reaction score
I've used several methods to kill rabbits. There are pros and cons to each.

Broomstick: bruises the shoulder, but it is easy to do. Easy to break the spine in the process.

rabbit wringer and such variants: better alternative to a broomstick IMO. Easy to break the spine in the process.

hold rabbit neck between thumb and forefinger in one hand and hold hind legs in other hand, and stretch across your hips till the neck snaps: Good option if you need to kill a rabbit with your bare hands and not make a scene out of it. Easy to break the spine in the process.

Stun then slit throat: How hard you hit is hard to explain and it's too easy to not hit hard enough. I don't like slitting throats as I like to tan the entire pelt.

For all of the above, the time from when the rabbit has reason to fear for its life until the time it is actually dead is way too long for my liking. Breaking the neck stops voluntary movement below the neck, but leaves the rabbit alive for a little bit. Out of respect for an animal who's life is being taken for meat, I want the time to be so short the rabbit never knows it happened.

The method I currently use is a .22 pellet. Most pellet rifles are plenty to put a pellet into a rabbit brain at point blank. The rabbit goes from being pet behind the neck to having a scrambled brain incapable of processing pain/fear/etc. in a very small fraction of a second. I use a rifle because that is what I have, but there are pellet pistols that could probably do the job. The pellet doesn't totally obliterate the brain the way a .22 bullet does, so if you want to get into brain tanning, pellets don't make that an issue. Just to get a feel for it, I've also used a .25acp mouse gun. The results are similar to 22lr. The bullet passes through the brain, and out the chin / mouth, and the brain is obliterated along with fragments of the skull and whatnot. If I had to suggest a "perfect" way for rabbit dispatch, it would be a captive bolt gun, but I've yet to find a vendor for one that would be appropriate for rabbits.

Marsha Kay

Just born
Reaction score
I'm having trouble uploading a picture but do you think
cUUFd8uxR1DTnUyeA
This pellet gun would be powerful enough? And do you think shooting from behind near the base of the skull would be more quick and less room of error or from the front right above but between the eyes? https://goo.gl/photos/cUUFd8uxR1DTnUyeA

In case you can't see the photo it's a Gamo P-23 with .177 caliber lead pointed tip pellets. We also have a red rider pump rifle but thought this might be better.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY URGE you and everyone else to use methods other than a gun if you value your and others life and limb. It is an accident waiting to happen.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have used every method I could find and finally got myself a Crosman .177 pump pistol. I stack two bales of straw/hay against the barn wall (inside, no distractions) and put a large rubber mat on top (like a non-slip shower mat): put the rabbit on the mat facing away from you and pet 'till it settles, just a few strokes usually.
Have the pistol pumped, loaded (I go 10X, the max) and safety ON. When rabbit is in place take pistol, place muzzle directly on skull right between ears, remove safety and fire when ready.
In the 50+ rabbits I have done this way it has only taken the one shot, the pellet does not go through the animal and if it did it would hit the mat/straw bales. There is hardly any of the spasms I have seen with other methods and way less stress on the animal.
My meat rabbits are NOT pets and don't get handled much and I butcher for another guy whose rabbits don't get handled at all. They all have been calm at time of dispatch, which I prefer to some struggling, frightened animal.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Contrary to bossroo's statement, using a gun is safe, swift and humane. As with any tool, which a gun is, with proper training and experience, it's just as safe as a knife or a club. Crossing the street, driving, cooking with gas (open flame), are all "accidents waiting to happen" as well, but people do each safely & quite routinely.

I would test fire the pistol against various substances to make sure it's powerful enough to kill with a single pellet. It's a CO2 powered gun and they are generally adjustable for how much pressure they use on each shot. From the specs it appears the velocity is (fixed? at) 400 feet/second (at the muzzle?). Even though you'll be inches from the rabbit's skull, I don't know if that will be powerful enough to kill with a single shot. Maybe take several shots at a 2 x 4 at close range and see if/how far the pellet lodges in the wood.

Good luck and I hope you'll let us know how it goes!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have used every method I could find and finally got myself a Crosman .177 pump pistol. I stack two bales of straw/hay against the barn wall (inside, no distractions) and put a large rubber mat on top (like a non-slip shower mat): put the rabbit on the mat facing away from you and pet 'till it settles, just a few strokes usually.
Have the pistol pumped, loaded (I go 10X, the max) and safety ON. When rabbit is in place take pistol, place muzzle directly on skull right between ears, remove safety and fire when ready.
In the 50+ rabbits I have done this way it has only taken the one shot, the pellet does not go through the animal and if it did it would hit the mat/straw bales. There is hardly any of the spasms I have seen with other methods and way less stress on the animal.
My meat rabbits are NOT pets and don't get handled much and I butcher for another guy whose rabbits don't get handled at all. They all have been calm at time of dispatch, which I prefer to some struggling, frightened animal.
Contrary to bossroo's statement, using a gun is safe, swift and humane. As with any tool, which a gun is, with proper training and experience, it's just as safe as a knife or a club. Crossing the street, driving, cooking with gas (open flame), are all "accidents waiting to happen" as well, but people do each safely & quite routinely.

I would test fire the pistol against various substances to make sure it's powerful enough to kill with a single pellet. It's a CO2 powered gun and they are generally adjustable for how much pressure they use on each shot. From the specs it appears the velocity is (fixed? at) 400 feet/second (at the muzzle?). Even though you'll be inches from the rabbit's skull, I don't know if that will be powerful enough to kill with a single shot. Maybe take several shots at a 2 x 4 at close range and see if/how far the pellet lodges in the wood.

Good luck and I hope you'll let us know how it goes!
Loco Yokel and Latestarter , I HIGHLY DISAGREE . Any firearm is an accident waiting to happen. Have you used, seean or even heard of a captive bolt pistol ? Touted to be the best and most humane tool (next to lethal injec tion ) to dispatch an animal that is used in slaughter houses, Veterinary Teaching Hospitals, etc. . It is akin to a .45 but pro(pels a 1/4 inch round " bolt " up to 2" into the brain . YES , I have used it for many years at a University. And YES, most of the time it will dispatch as advertised. However , on a few occations when the brain is penetrated by the captive bolt, the animal will have violent convultions and on fewer occations I have also seen where the animal even attacked and bitten a person while "brain dead ".
I would NEVER advise anyone , especially a first timer, to use ANY FIREARM TO DISPATCH ANY ANIMAL.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I respect your opinion @Bossroo. There have been times, unfortunately, when an animal on my farm needed to be put down. We used a gun. As you noted, even a captive bolt pistol is not foolproof. What do you suggest as a quick and humane way to dispatch an animal that might be 100+ lbs?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow we dispatch animals with a gun on our farm all the time. We hunt deer with, you guessed it, a gun. I do believe people who are not accustomed to using firearms should not do this, however when used by someone comfortable with them, this is a safe and humane way to dispatch animals. This is how we dispatch pigs and have never had an issue.

I'm not sure if you are recommending the captive bolt pistol or not, but it is a very expensive item to buy, and I've never had issues with a gun, so I'm good with what we're doing.

Edit: I wasn't clear in what I was saying, rephrased!

Last edited: