What should we do for her?

eicg

Just born
Reaction score
The other day we lost one of our 3 month old goats to complications from being castrated. His sister has seemed very depressed the passed two days. We got both of them when they were a week old and they have never been separated for longer than an hour. She is a very sweet, calm, loving goat with humans. With other goats she's a little more shy and tended to just socialize with just her brother. We have two other adult goats who aren't related so she isn't completely alone. He was a very outgoing, playful goat with everybody. He kind of gave her confidence and she would follow him everywhere. Now that he's gone all she does is eat. As I said he used to lead her around so she'd do everything he did. The passed two days all she has done is stand next to the hay rack and just eat. It's like she doesn't know what else to do. When she's not eating she walks around looking and screaming for him. I let them into a new pasture today and she just stayed off by herself for a little while untill I went to do some chores then she just followed me around. I even let her in the house so she wouldn't be lonely. When I went to put everybody to bed for the night she wouldn't eat her grain because she was too busy looking for him since it was bed time. I finally got her to go to bed and eat her grain by pretending to be him and eating with her. Does anybody know of anything that could help her feel better? Would another goat her age help? Would she be able to bond with another goat? I hate seeing her so upset and confused.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with Mini Horses. I would put them in a pen together for a few days to let them bond, then let them both back in with the adults.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely find her a little friend her own age, maybe a little younger so she can be the "big sister". Goats sure do bond with siblings, it is still amazing to me to see them sleeping together in family units. Sorry that you had to go through the pain of losing one and it always makes it harder when there is just no way to explain it to a goat. You are good to try and help her like this.

eicg

Just born
Reaction score
Do you think it would matter if we got a goat her age if it was male or female. Iv been looking oline and I found a 9 week old doeling who's reasonably priced and close enough to us. There is a buckling in the process of being wethered but I'm not sure if we are currently in a mental position to deal with something going wrong again like it did with her brother.