What size should an Alpine doe be at roughly ...

NYRIR

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5 months old? I think my Alpine is either a cross or really small for her age.
Thanks for any input!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My 5 - 6 mo. old Ob and Nubian kids are 65-77# right now.

Coccidia and other parasites can stunt kid growth.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My 4 month old Alpine is about 31" tall at the shoulders and I am guessing that she weighs about 45 lbs. They aren't the fastest growing animals on the farm. Mine are still growing at one year.

zelloniszoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
my lamancha/alpine/nubian mix girls are 19months and right around 100lbs....my alpine/nubian mix girls who are 7 months are closer to 45lbs

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Guessing their weight and putting them on a scale and getting a weight does make a difference. You would be surprised at how wrong you are with guessing weights. I have a livestock scale and I always guess the weight before putting the goats on the scale. I'm wrong every time. It is my understanding that the weight tapes are pretty close but you would need to know how to use the tape properly.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Guessing their weight and putting them on a scale and getting a weight does make a difference. You would be surprised at how wrong you are with guessing weights. I have a livestock scale and I always guess the weight before putting the goats on the scale. I'm wrong every time. It is my understanding that the weight tapes are pretty close but you would need to know how to use the tape properly.
Yeah I have a saanen wether I would have thought 10-15lbs(at least!) heavier then my lamancha. Try 3 or 4 lbs! haha I was shocked! He just carries it differently.

Kippenhock

Just born
Reaction score
My Alpine doe is about 6 months old and is roughly 25 inches high at the withers (top of the shoulders). To me this seems small. According to the International Dairy Goat Registry ( http://idgr.info/index/?page_id=520) the standard for an Alpine doe is 30 inches. I think that she'll continue to grow for another 6 months or so, so she should be fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My alpine is a slow growing gal compared to my mixed breeds. Right now my 2 month old nigi/kiko buck is as big as her at 5 months!