What technique or tool do you use to make your cows mind?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
:yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOUR A BIG BULLY Redtailgal - thats one to tell the grandkids :thumbsup
X2 on that one.

I'm still laughing as I post!

:lol:

Confession: I would have :ep then :th seeing that that bull come running like that. Retailgal I :bow

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Well, I have a stick in the barn that I have used for snotty cows, but I have also used a five gallon bucket.

When hubby and I first got married, my FIL was going out of town for a few days and asked me to tend his cattle. Now, I'd been working on a dairy, in the springing pens and calf hutches, and had dealt with the holstein bulls on a couple occasions. Holsteins are notoriously NOT NICE, so I was a little cautious around bulls.

So, I go out to feed the cattle. The troughs are in the middle of the pasture, and there are only a few cows in to be bred, so I get out and carry two five gallon buckets over to the troughs.......the ground was wet and I didnt want to drive the truck in the already wet mud.

I dump the feed and look up to see the huge herford bull come barrelling out of the pasture, running like his arse was on fire......straight at me.

I have these short little dumpy legs, there was no way I was gonna be able to out run that bull, so I prepared for battle. As soon as he was within reach, I wailed him with a five gallon bucket, busting the bucket upside his head and screaming like a wild banshee. He did run from me, but that wasnt enough, so I CHASED him back into the woods still screaming and threw the other bucket at him. Even the cows took off.

I felt so tough. I fought off a bull and WON! Yeah, uh-huh, I'm bad, you know it.

I rode with FIL one day soon after the "great bullfight of NC" and watched as the bull came barrelling out of the woods, running like his arse was on fire, straight at FIL........only to come to the prettiest sliding stop that a bull could manage and get hand fed a little grain and his nose rubbed a minute. He was a big baby. He could be led around by his ear.

Yeah, I'm the one that beat down the big baby. I'm that tough. Eventually, we became sorta friends, but I never could touch that bull while I was holding a bucket.
:lol:

shawn MN

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Well, I have a stick in the barn that I have used for snotty cows, but I have also used a five gallon bucket.

When hubby and I first got married, my FIL was going out of town for a few days and asked me to tend his cattle. Now, I'd been working on a dairy, in the springing pens and calf hutches, and had dealt with the holstein bulls on a couple occasions. Holsteins are notoriously NOT NICE, so I was a little cautious around bulls.

So, I go out to feed the cattle. The troughs are in the middle of the pasture, and there are only a few cows in to be bred, so I get out and carry two five gallon buckets over to the troughs.......the ground was wet and I didnt want to drive the truck in the already wet mud.

I dump the feed and look up to see the huge herford bull come barrelling out of the pasture, running like his arse was on fire......straight at me.

I have these short little dumpy legs, there was no way I was gonna be able to out run that bull, so I prepared for battle. As soon as he was within reach, I wailed him with a five gallon bucket, busting the bucket upside his head and screaming like a wild banshee. He did run from me, but that wasnt enough, so I CHASED him back into the woods still screaming and threw the other bucket at him. Even the cows took off.

I felt so tough. I fought off a bull and WON! Yeah, uh-huh, I'm bad, you know it.

I rode with FIL one day soon after the "great bullfight of NC" and watched as the bull came barrelling out of the woods, running like his arse was on fire, straight at FIL........only to come to the prettiest sliding stop that a bull could manage and get hand fed a little grain and his nose rubbed a minute. He was a big baby. He could be led around by his ear.

Yeah, I'm the one that beat down the big baby. I'm that tough. Eventually, we became sorta friends, but I never could touch that bull while I was holding a bucket.
:bun :thumbsup :clap :yuckyuck :celebrate

Roscommon Acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
A confession: I regret not knowing this sooner when I had a steer become a bit of a pet one year. I never really knew much about avoiding scratching the head and the head-butting thing and standing your ground and all that until after we sent him with the rest of the steers to get fattened up for butchering. He would head-butt me, but in a gentle way when he was younger, but I never thought of nor knew to correct him at the time. There were a lot of things that I had experienced when I was younger with cattle that I never knew at the time that I wished now I knew then. I guess we all just have to live and learn. :/:)
Here, too! Although it was more my husband who thought it was great fun to push on our beef steer's head and sort of wrestle with him. Great fun until he weighed 1200 pounds and my 13 year old daughter was supposed to try to lead him by halter for 4H. He was such a pussy cat, but just had that bad habit of wanting to shove and play with his head. I had no idea what I was doing and didn't know anybody who knew anything, so I took a stick, held it parallel to the ground and pointing at him and put two feet between him and me. Anytime he violated that, he got a swift stab in whatever part was headed my way.

It took me doing it twice and my daughter doing it three times and that was that.