What the full milk bag looks like from the back of a mini pig

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
C2F87838-A288-42F4-9155-67A5953E8855.jpeg

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That sow is one of my best performers on the farm she’s a perfect momma as minis go this will be her fourth litter and she bags out weeks in advance. I noticed with my minis that first time moms sometimes don’t bag out until right beforehand but when they’ve had a few litters before their bodies know exactly how to prepare and they bag out way earlier

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just hope this helps others in the future we have several breeds and have two to three litters a month so if anyone has questions let me know

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, do you think I need to get oxytocin to have on hand? Also, do I need a ‘pig puller’...I know that’s not what it’s called...but, the tool used to get the stuck ones out since you can’t reach inside a mini pig, like you can a regular pig?

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, do you think I need to get oxytocin to have on hand? Also, do I need a ‘pig puller’...I know that’s not what it’s called...but, the tool used to get the stuck ones out since you can’t reach inside a mini pig, like you can a regular pig?
you can make a pig puller with a skinny piece of PVC and a plastic string like off of your weed eater. Dont spend the money if you don't have to on stuff like that.
Meds I keep on hand are :
Iron injections for piglets under 48 hrs old (its for their growth spurts)
Vitamin B injectable
Cordia for any coccidia problems on the farm( pigs are most prevalent for coccidia)
Iodine or betadine
vet lube
tongs ( what i use instead of a pig puller)
Electrolytes
Powdered colostrum( powder is best cause you only need it once in a blue moon)
Powdered Unimilk brand milk replacer (for piglets that are runts or special cases i need to feed)
Baby bottles( only for a day or so- I recommend making them drink from a flat saucer instead of a bottle as piglets can aspirate and die way to easily with bottle feeding. Dont worry if it won't eat for even 24-30 hrs, when it gets hungry enough it will eat the milk replacer you offer it. My partner had to take some piglets home because the mom passed away and she got two to eat easy but the third wouldn't and she called me crying- I told her its normal and don't worry unless its been more than 30 hrs when you switch its food from moms milk to milk replacer. She called me that night and told me exactly what i expected to hear, it ate right at 26 hr mark.)
oh and tons of towels
heat lamp
extra orchard grass or bermuda for when the momma begins nesting before labor begins

Latest posts