What the heck did this? [Warning: Graphic photos]!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you confronted the threat without being reckless. You did not fire on it without knowing what it was. It turned out different and much better than you had suspected and expected. You were able to stand down.

Your dogs probably had never experienced any beast that huge. Being from the city, yah they were backing up. It had to be quite a frightening experience for both you and the dogs. Sounds like you did everything just right.

I have not been in the armed forces and therefore, never been in a war setting. But, going with very practical and tactical training on knowing ones target and not shooting until seeing and identifying the target, you did exactly right. In war, the unknowns may be different than domestic and civilian targets. Firing into an unknown or blind area at the enemy may keep someone alive. Idk. I will never know.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
In the "heat of the moment" the mind plays tricks unless you are well trained and know what to expect. Fright alone can incapacitate. The adrenaline is pouring into your system, the fight or flight instinct is making you unstable and many times the shooter "sees" exactly what he/she is "expecting" to see, whether that's the case or not. It's training that is the key. You have to learn what to expect and then prepare for it.

I'm sorry Soar... it seems like once again your nice neat thread has diverted and slid "off target". :confused:

Any further game cam evidence to share?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep, off the theme of the original post...and I am probably most to blame for it...my bad.

Well, time to redirect back to the original theme...finding and dealing with the predators...

The high tech game cams arrived and I have finally received the SD cards and rechargeable batteries too. Hope to mount the new game cams this weekend.

Checked the super old game cam...

Mostly the same thing...foxes, possums, cats.

But I did notice a pic of a blur of an animal [it appears as if it was running full speed]. This animal appears much larger than the others...

Anyone care to guess what it is?

I was thinking it is either a coyote or a dog...

What are your thoughts on this one?

PS The newer cams are probably gonna give us much, much better pics...
PSS Last weekend we patched a hole where an animal or animals had recently dug underneath the fence.
PSSS Large wind storm took down several trees, one of which took out a section of fence. This is a priority project for tomorrrow...
PSSSS We are looking for a puppy LGD. If anyone knows of a good deal, please let us know. Thank you!

Coyote 2.JPG

Last edited:

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, just came back from the forest and found a lot of trees down from the last storm. One even damaged a fence. So I will have my work cut out for me tomorrow.

Also, just a few minutes ago, another ewe gave birth. Last year, all lambs were born in the forest. This year, all lambs are being born in the pen because of the predators and also due to lack of rain/grass.

Wow, what a difference between last year and this year...day and night...

Tree on fence 2.JPG
Wind storm tree down 3.18b.JPG
Forest low grass drought 3.2.18.JPG
Old Trail Cam 1.JPG
3.2.18 New borns.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, off the theme of the original post...and I am probably most to blame for it...my bad.

I don't see it as a problem if you don't. Most threads evolve if they last very long and every since I've been on the internet, I've always said any thread I happen to start is not mine. The second I click 'submit..or post reply' it becomes the property of the board's community at large.
If I was really all that interested in keeping it where I wanted it, I'd just keep it to myself to begin with.

Looks like a Primos game cam?