What time of year do you breed sheep?

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks Run, and yes we are having them professionally sheered. I am a bit worried about Freckles, she is the one that we think is the furthest along, this morning she wouldn't eat. Usually when I get in the pen and they hear the food being pored they are just a talking and pacing. Well the weather and the other ewe ate and Freckles just watched and then she got a mouth full and barley chewed and some if it just fell back out of her mouth and then went outside and let them eat theirs and hers. She usually is in there just a pushing around the weather for his food plus hers! Should I be worried? I have read somewhere that they sometimes do that right before lambing. :ep We are not ready for that!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jenn said:
Thanks Run, and yes we are having them professionally sheered. I am a bit worried about Freckles, she is the one that we think is the furthest along, this morning she wouldn't eat. Usually when I get in the pen and they hear the food being pored they are just a talking and pacing. Well the weather and the other ewe ate and Freckles just watched and then she got a mouth full and barley chewed and some if it just fell back out of her mouth and then went outside and let them eat theirs and hers. She usually is in there just a pushing around the weather for his food plus hers! Should I be worried? I have read somewhere that they sometimes do that right before lambing. :ep We are not ready for that!!

Thanks for all your help!!
I would definately watch her closely.....
I have had ewes do both just before lambing...I have seen them completely pass food and treats up, and yet the next one would eat her share and then another girls food...
Sometimes I think it just depends on the ewe.....
but yes I would definately watch her....
How long have you had them??? I could also be 'shipping stress', if you just recently got them.
good luck

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks Run-

We got the first ewe 3 weeks ago and the one that is not eating we got 1 week ago. She ate tonight. :D We cleaned out the pen that they share just in-case we get a surprise.

I have a weather sheep and a weather goat that roam with the two ewes during the day should I remove them from the ewes anytime soon?? The goat has his own pen that he sleeps and gets fed in but the 3 sheep share their own pen at night.

Thanks again for all your information!!! You have been wonderful to this newbie!! :bow

I feel like this is my first child again. I am soooooo nervous!!! :barnie I don't want anything to go wrong. The only good thing is that these ewe's have lambed before. ;) At least they know what they are doing!!

jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well there is an update on the sheep. The guy came out tonight to sheer and let us know what we suspected was true. Freckles is due roughly in about a week maybe 2 and Maggie is due in 2 maybe 3 weeks. :ep Sooner that I wanted but at least we now have a rough estimate.

Has anyone noticed your sheep acting funny after sheering?? I have never heard them talk to much since we got them!!! The weather is really jumpy!!!!!!!

Well gonna get a lambing pen built sooner that we thought. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about sheep but my boys always acted more ornery and active after hair cuts! :lol: We used to joke about it....maybe it's the same for sheep?

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jenn said:
Well there is an update on the sheep. The guy came out tonight to sheer and let us know what we suspected was true. Freckles is due roughly in about a week maybe 2 and Maggie is due in 2 maybe 3 weeks. :ep Sooner that I wanted but at least we now have a rough estimate.

Has anyone noticed your sheep acting funny after sheering?? I have never heard them talk to much since we got them!!! The weather is really jumpy!!!!!!!

Well gonna get a lambing pen built sooner that we thought. :thumbsup
Can't wait to see those baby pictures SOON!!!!!!!

I know when we had our sheep sheared they definately acted different. The 'boys' were almost embarrassed....Or that's how they acted...Our girls weren't real different....maybe a little more chatty...but other than that they seemed normal....

Latest posts