What time to separate young does from bucks

cralwalker

Just born
Reaction score
My ND babies are coming to six weeks of age. I read that bucks can sire as early as 8 weeks but the literature I have read so far is not clear what age the does could fall pregnant.
I have separated the bucks from the does so no rush, just curious what time I should use as a rule of thumb?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It really has to do with individual animal....

BUT because it can happen, they suggest you separate at earliest ages they have found fertility. They will start humping at just a couple weeks -- a built in activity 🥴 -- and nothing comes of that early on. The chances of hitting the mark and both girl/boy being fertile at same complimentary time are slim chances until close to 3 months. Chances are only a little better than winning a lottery until then. Its after then your odds improve. Notice this pretty much coincides with weaning....which is when most division, and sales, occur .

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My neighbor bought a doeling that was listed as 10 weeks old. She kidded 4.5 months later. She was definitely not bred after my neighbor purchased her because she didn't own a buck at that time. She was most likely impregnated by her littermate brother.
Simple math says that she was impregnated at 8 weeks. :th

I will say that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. As @Mini Horses mentioned they start practicing early. I watch the boys equipment. When they can extend and have started testicular growth - it's time to separate! (if not before)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow...that would be unusual...but, there's that chance. I've been fortunate to not have that happen! Cause I do not separate at 8 weeks.

Yep, gotta watch the boys extending. :ep. Whatta life :lol: