What to ask before purchase?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've looking into getting a donkey or a mini donkey for quite a while and found what appears could be a good fit. He is 10 years old & broke to ride (important for my nephew). They are asking $500 which I think it fair but what should I ask if I go meet him? I don't want to seem dumb but this would be my first donkey. Worked on a horse farm before so have experience with them but not donkeys.
Thank you!!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_9791.JPG

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It may be the angle but that looks more like a hinny instead of a donkey... Is he broke to ride beyond a leadline? I Find in general on any pony or mini is considered broke if it accepts a saddle and kid. If you want something that walks off on his or her own you definitely need to ask that very specific question. Why do you want a donkey versus a pony? What are your needs? If you're thinking all of them get along with other livestock that's a common myth. The mini donkeys we had were all very food aggressive and I never trusted them around my ewes and lambs. They learn in a totally different way than a horse so can be harder to train. Also if it's a male ask and check if he is gelded. Also make sure you can handle their feet, you don't want one that needs sedated for hoof trims.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think he looks more like a mule or hinney too, but I don't have experience with either, only horses/ponies. I would imagine most of the things you'd look for would be the same. Here's a few thoughts, I'm sure others can add to it.

How easy is he to catch in the field? In his stall? Even if he doesn't have a halter on? How would they rate his temperament on a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being 'Steady Eddie' calm, and 10 being hyper to the extreme?

How is he to groom? Is he comfortable being touched *everywhere* on his body? (including ears, belly, hind legs - has he ever had his sheath cleaned and did he need tranquilized (not an automatic fail, but good to know)). Does he seem to enjoy attention and grooming? Will he take treats without being nippy? Lift all 4 legs for cleaning his feet?

How is he to tack up? Is he ok with being saddled, no moving away, swishing tail, trying to kick, or other indications he's uncomfortable or resentful? What kind of saddle does he need (mules/donkeys can be difficult to fit a saddle to)? Has he ever had a crupper on? Does he take the bridle nicely? What kind of bit do they use? An animal that goes well in a mild snaffle bit would be a plus for me. Does he direct rein or neck rein?

Does he stand still to get on, and stay standing still till he's asked to move off? Have the current owner/rider ride him first (including walk, trot and canter, turn left and right, halt and stand still, and back a few steps), then your nephew if you feel comfortable about it. Don't forget a helmet! If he plans to trail ride, a test ride should include trails.

Where has he been ridden? Does that match where your nephew wants to ride? Has he been in an indoor arena, outdoor arena, trail riding? Does he behave well when ridden with others, and when riding alone? Has he ever been ridden in a large group? Has he ever been to a show, clinic, parade, or anyplace with a lot of commotion going on, and how was he? Can you ride him out from 'home' and he's ok, or does he try to turn back - and is it different depending on whether he's alone or with another horse/mule? Are there any things he tends to spook at or be difficult about? Crossing water, bridges, riding along a road, dogs, dirtbikes, anything else a rider might encounter in your area?

How does he trailer? This includes how does he load, how does he ride, and how does he unload? What kind of trailer has he been in - step-up, ramp, straight-load, slant-load, open stock? Does he ride tied forward, backward, slant, or untied?

What is his vaccination history? Who is his current vet? When's the last time he had a fecal run? Last wormed? Does he have a current Coggins?

What's his current stabling and feeding arrangement? If you're going to keep him in a stall, is he used to that? There will be an adjustment period, even if the horsekeeping style is similar to what he'd be going to.

If he gets the donkey/mule, a few lessons early on will help the transistion and help them get off to a good start, and they'd have someone experienced to help work through any issues that may come up. They are different than horses, so someone who knows them would be very helpful.

Around here a well-mannered healthy 10 year old horse would be well worth $500, I don't know about donkeys or mules, there aren't as many around. Good luck!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww thanks, Latestarter and CntryBoy777, I kind of got on a roll there... lol
If Alexz worked on a horse farm chances are they already know to ask most all those questions - the only thing I could think of specific to donkeys/mules was the saddle fit part.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
THAT is NO donkey!! Anybody that would try to sell it as a donkey is either a outright liar or is so stupid that he/she couldn't be trusted to know a cotton-pickin' thing about much of anything else. Run. Run from this person and run from this animal. I sense a train wreck waiting to happen.

I also agree with the above posters.

Edited to add-I don't mean to sound harsh, but it infuriates me when some one misrepresents what they are selling. With a horse/donkey/mule/hinney and the size that they are, some one could get hurt and we want riding to be fun, not causing injury.

Last edited: