What to ask before purchase?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just looked at and bought an 8 year old gelding, 13 hands, (small) for our grand kids. He is a little skinny, but that's no problem. He is barn sour too, but I can deal with that. What he is--is a dead head that the lady's 2 kids could do anything to him and he didn't care, nor did he move. We watched the kids, age 4 and 9, slide off his butt, crawl under him, pick up feet from all angles, slide down his neck, stand up on his back and do things that I would never allow my grands to do--safety wise. He is also a follower-he happily follows any other horse. He just doesn't want to be out there all by himself. So that is also a good thing--for MY purposes, because he will follow a horse that I am riding. We will take possession of him in another week or two, she promised to work on his barn sour attitude. But seriously, that is not such a big issue. He is slow, gentle and perfectly ok with whatever 2 little girls could do to him. He will live an easy life here, but he is big enough for me to ride, should I have to bring him back to reality from time to time. We paid $800 for him. I have been looking for some time for a small horse that is dead gentle. No horse will be perfect, so you have to really look one over, consider the faults and whether or not they are something you can live with or will it be a deal breaker.

And no bonking on the head from riding into the barn! I purposely had the alley built over 12 feet-it's big enough to drive a cab tractor through. I can't count the times when, as a kid, the option was to jump off or get my head bashed in by low rafters when on a barn sour horse running back to the barn. :lol: We called it fun.....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats Bay! That's excellent news. The grands will no doubt be pretty thrilled about that when they're able to partake.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't count the times when, as a kid, the option was to jump off or get my head bashed in by low rafters when on a barn sour horse running back to the barn. :lol: We called it fun.....
You didn't slide over the side and then pull yourself back up top once through the door?? Happened all the time in the old Westerns though they were usually doing it to hide themselves from the "black hat" guy's bullets.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You know Bruce, those western movie horses made great bullet (and arrow) catchers... One of the original forms of body armor/bullet proof vests I guess.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep but as I recall, the "white hats" could hit a guy in the arm on purpose 100 yards away while at a gallop but the "black hats" couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hijack away! I was busy asking questions to the seller! :)
And Vladimir Lost his manhood today, been dealing with a whiny furbaby :lol:

I hav a couple more for you guys if you dont mind!
@promiseacres Thank you! So apparently I am clueless, is a hinny a bad thing? I found out he is gelded & she sent me a video of him walking on his own by the riders directive, no leadline.

@norseofcourse Thank you! I have been told he is friendly and easy to catch. I need to still ask about temperment & use your scale, thank you! I have been told he grooms like a charm and easily lifts all legs & loves getting brushed. Will also ask about treats & if he nips! I ALSO need to ask about riding & that whole amazing paragraph, I kid you not I printed it to bring with me! Going to show me his records when I go meet him & need yo ask about the trailer & feed/housing.

He would be seperate from the other animals. But could still see them, I wonder if that'd be okay? He does currently live with goats. My plan this spring is to seperate the goats out from my sheep and the alpacas, so could work amazing!
It is primarily going to be for my nephew because I am a total sucker. When we went to the stock show he was OBSESSED! He was when he was a baby too but now he understands. He said "E-A (he cant say Aunt A) will you help me buy a donkey?" How do you say no?! And with those big blue eyes! :p
Plus Aaron is half sold for the fact he can ask people if they want to see his ass :smackMen..... :plbb

Anyways, so I need to make sure it is safe for him. My best friend locally is a horse trainer, she might be able to go with me to meet him next Wednesday. So far the owner has been 100% open about everything and anything I have asked or requested. But of course I know people can lie.
You guys are the absolute best & I would be SOOO lost without you, thank you!!!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely take your friend! But from your latest answers he may work for what you wan weather a donkey, mule or hinny. Do ask about how he does with fencing... especially if kept by himself.

A donkey is their own species
a hinny is a horse stallion bred to a donkey mare
a mule is a donkey stallion bred to a horse mare
The 2 crosses Do Not protect their areas like a donkey might, so unsuitable as guardians.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some of the things I ask when looking at horses are:
How old? (Then check their teeth to confirm they are close to that age, they have some guides online that help if you're not sure what to look for)
If they say they are broken, how willing are they to get on it and show you? If they aren't willing, there's a reason! Even a little donkey can be gotten on by a small adult (I had a little jack burro and he was tiny but had no problem carrying me even though my feet nearly dragged the ground)
Are they UTD on vaccinations?
When was the last time they were dewormed?
When was the last time a farrier did their feet? This one can go either way, some people like me trim themselves, and that's ok! As long as you can reasonably handle their feet without being stomped into a mudhole.
Have they ever had their teeth floated? Not all horses need it, but it's good to know if they've needed it before
See where they're being kept and what they stay in - if they're staying inside a run down fence and yours is better, it's a good bet you won't have issues.
Look at their feet. Mules and donkeys usually have great hooves anyway, but look for cracks and splits, not particularly a deal breaker depending on where the cracks are. If they're in the front of the hoof and not deep, it can just be from a poor diet, if on the sides or heels they may have a conformation issue causing it, and it can cause them to be lame.

Most people are honest, but some gloss over ugly facts.

The ass jokes are great. When we picked out my new little mare there was a molly mule out with them...DH and I joked about it for the rest of the day about what an ass she was, why wouldn't that ass leave me alone, and "geez that's a big ass" - we're mature adults! lol