What to do about ear mites! Help!

CollieFlowerWV

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
DianeS said:
hoodat said:
The safest way is to use pharmacy grade mineral or olive oil. Just put some on a Qtip and apply it where ear mites are present. You can also clean out some of the gunk the mites leave behind with it. Be prepared to get an oil shower when the rabbit shakes its head. The oil smothers the mites. If you can find some camphorated oil it works even better. the camphor not only helps kill them, it helps repel new ones from coming in. Your phamacist can probably steer you to an over the counter camphorated oil or can order some in for you.
x2

I only use medications if the same rabbit gets repeated infestations. Mineral oil works almost all of the time, is cheaper, stores well, and has fewer side effects.
What side effects? Just curious because I didn't see any side effects. :)
Using Almond oil is extremely good for this. I use it on my cats and I would assume that mites will be the same on rabbits. The almond oil is very light and it is not a chemical. The mineral has petroleum in it and not a good idea. I used to be a dog groomer and that's what I used.

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
I ended up giving the buck back to the breeder. He was not going to help my breeding program so I could not keep him anymore.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
CollieFlowerWV said:
Ms. Research said:
DianeS said:
x2

I only use medications if the same rabbit gets repeated infestations. Mineral oil works almost all of the time, is cheaper, stores well, and has fewer side effects.
What side effects? Just curious because I didn't see any side effects. :)
Using Almond oil is extremely good for this. I use it on my cats and I would assume that mites will be the same on rabbits. The almond oil is very light and it is not a chemical. The mineral has petroleum in it and not a good idea. I used to be a dog groomer and that's what I used.
Thanks for the suggestion. Almond Oil. That's better than a mineral that has petroleum in it. Definitely will have to look into it. Thanks again. :)

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Almond oil sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. I know almonds themselves have some interesting properties for pest control.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use plain old EVOO, it's food grade so it won't hurt them to ingest it, which they will because they groom each other's ears.

Shannon