What to do about stray dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big A Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i keep getting stray dogs on my property! I don't have a LGD yet and the one dog that was here when we moved on has been moved to the former owners new property she was the best at keeping strays away but she killed everything she could get her mouth on so I could not keep her. My pug and pittmix are big lovers and welcome new dogs with wags and licks. That's what I get for socializing my dogs! What are some of the things you guys have done?
P

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
1st try to discover who owns it, tell them it's coming to your property and you do not want it there,be nice but firm.
2nd call animal control
3rd sss
if it's harassing livestock or children skip 1st 2 steps.

That's just me as Indiana has a leash law and laws protecting livestock. But they aren't often enforced.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you know who the owner is, I'd give them 1 (one) verbal and written notice that if they wish to continue to own the dog, they should keep it off your property and away from your livestock. If not heeded, SSS. If you don't know or can't find/determine the owner, SSS.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My neighbor has dogs that wander over here often but they've never hurt anything so I leave them alone. I know all of my neighbors' dogs and cats so I know when there's a stray or someone's dog is loose.

As far as dogs go, I always try to figure out whose dog they are unless they're a threat. I know things happen and the dog can get loose from the yard or house and go wandering. No biggie. I'll usually try to call it toward me and then I'll send a picture to the mail lady who can tell me who it belongs to most of the time. If she doesn't, I take it in to the humane society and they often find the owner or put it up for adoption.
If I see the same dog twice after attempting the above, I'd call the humane officer and file a complaint. I don't like to kill something if I don't have to. It's not the dog's fault that the owner is irresponsible.
If I have a dog that is aggressive toward my animals or me, SSS. Or if it happens to get in the pasture and goes after the animals, my donkey will kill it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We fenced our place in non climb 2"x4" horse wire. It keeps my animals in and everybody else's out. I keep the gate closed. Our neighbor had a French Bulldog that is his companion and he loves his little dog, Pepe'. Pepe comes to our gate, if it was open, he would be chasing chickens and killing them. I wouldn't start a range war by shooting Pepe, so I make sure the gate stays closed.

There are also strays that are mangy and sickly looking. I don't know how they stay alive. From time to time coyotes catch and eat one. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if it was on my property.

parson45

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The lgd's showed up at the front gate with a jack Russell/beagle mix looking for all the world like "she followed us home. Can we keep her?"
We did.
A couple of weeks ago, someone dumped an American Eskimo dog nearby and we kept him, too.
However, three bobcats, two coyotes, and two feral dogs have tasted .243 hollow points.

Status
Not open for further replies.