What to do about stray dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcertuche

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here people need a license to hunt on their own property, damage or not. We don't have a gun but a friend gave me a couple shoulders from a nice young buck. It was enough to put 3 bags of pound and half cubed up venison. Not sure how I'll fix it yet but it'll be good. We love venison. Tough, old bucks make good sausage and they are good canned, especially with a tbsp. or two of onion soup mix.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Passed a dead doe on the way back from the dairy today. Hunting season is on and this deer didn't look "vehicle hit" dead even though it was right up against the woods off the side of the road. It was facing the road. I had cars behind me and didn't see it in time to slow and pull off to check it out. I don't know what the law is here in TX regarding road kill either. I'd hate to get a ticket/fine/jail time for picking up a dead deer... She looked completely intact and hadn't bloated yet, so I'll bet I could have salvaged the better cuts and the rest would have made Mel very danged happy I'm sure. o_O I have to check into it.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband's friend went hunting at 2:30 this afternoon and called at 3:15 to ask for help dragging a buck out of the woods! Totally not fair!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I never had luck like that either... :( I always seemed to be the one getting the call to help.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doubtful but we'll make him come help in return if my husband gets one. Last year I had to wake my husband up on the last day of hunting season because there was a buck in our yard. So we've had good luck before too. Yes he got that one!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter road kill is considered to not be a legal kill and you are supposed to leave the carcass alone. That said, I have been known to butcher roadkill when it was just hit. just don't tell nobody......

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Over in VT they let you take it, but you have to use your tag for it... My husband hit a deer on 91 and asked the state police if he could have it... Needless to say he didn't take it.

I actually don't know what the rule is in NH. I've eaten roadkill moose before but I didn't ask if it was legally obtained or not...

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Evidently road kill is fair game here. There's even a roadkill list you can get on, so they'll call you to come get it. I think that's awesome, why waste it? See... This is why I do love this state!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plus then the state doesn't have to pay to move the animal! Here they usually rot on the side of the road, I don't think the state does anything more than move them off the travel lane when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.