What to do about worms?

TXFarmGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey there, so we were digging in the dirt in the animal pen a couple days ago when we noticed small(about 1/2 inch) reddish colored worms in the ground...like literally wherever we dug within the pen there were these worms in the ground. There are goats(only been here 2 days, worms were present before the goats came), chickens, and an LGD. The goats are separated from the chickens, and have their own small barn, but they are still pretty much in the same pen as the chickens....if that makes any sense!?! The LGD has had a 7 way de-wormer, she’s on heartgaurd, fully vaccinated and everything. The chickens free range and eat normal lay pellets and scratch. The goats(like I said they came in the last couple days, so for them we are hoping to get them something that will prevent them from getting the worms if the worms are get-able by goats) are on milk(one is 15 days old one is 4 months old), medicated goat feed, whole oats, sweet feed, hay and alfalfa. There is also a cat that goes in the pen and poops since there is sand in the chicken pen. I’m not sure if one of the animals brought the worms, or if they’ve always been there, if we need to treat the ground? Or the animals? Any advice on what the worms may be and how to treat all of the animals would be SOOOOO appreciated. TIA.

TXFarmGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We also have horses and cows but they live down the road. We do wear same boots to all pens and whatnot. I’ll get pictures of the worms tomorrow.

CraftyHen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Baby red wiggled worms, maybe? They're about 1/2 inch

Attachments

• 1614218_f520.jpg
    1614218_f520.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 354

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couldn't find any. Compost worms are usually bright red, small and have obvious bands encircling them.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have taken a look at the worms close up....i think they are compost worms (a variety of earthworm) and totally benign. Shovel the stuff out, worms and all and place it around your growing veg.

As OneFineAcre says, the chickens will love them.