What to do if your rabbit won't eat

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
A rabbits digestive system is a fragile thing and when it is upset in the slightest way it can end with tragic results in a very short time. Always seek an experienced rabbit veterinarians care to determine the cause of their loss of appetite.

You need to keep their gut moving first and foremost. Give them their favorite treats, hay, fresh veggies anything. So long as they are eating.

Next, they also need to be drinking. If Someone goes off of feed they are usually not drinking either sure to them not eating if they don't drink and not drinking if they don't eat. If this is the Case you can sweeten up their water by placing apple slices in the water dish, pedialite or Gatorade to keep them hydrated.

In a worst Case scenario, you can boil down old fashioned oatmeal and syringe feed it to them, syringe feed oxbow critical care or just water to attempt to get them back up and eating.

It can take hours, days or weeks to get them to eat regularly again but with time and patience they eventually will come around.

There are other options as well, these are just a few that I have used and had success with.

Claude

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Also I found out recently that some rabbits are picky about their water source / Bottle a few weeks ago i had one of my does quit eating and was just laying in the back of her cage doing much of nothing. I noticed she had a full bottle of water too untouched and did some looking and realized that when my kids watered the rabbits the day before they switched her bottle around and she refused to use it. I switched the bottles back and put a crock of water in with her and even squirted water from her bottle into her mouth to get her to start drinking. 24 hours later she was back to her normal self and the kids got a good talking too about paying attention to what they are doing.