What to do to become a licensed Veterinarian?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kapfarm said:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics also reports that the number of veterinarians needed will just continue to increase to 22,000 by the year 2016. This would make it one of the fastest growing professions. The nations 28 veterinarian schools provide around 2,700 graduates a year, something that hasnt changed in three decades.
Ya know, I just had a thought.. Oftentimes if my wife or I have some mild medical situation we need to have taken care of, we'll just run to the urgent treatment place instead of making appointments or -- heaven forbid -- going to the ER (which costs a blooming FORTUNE under my insurance plan)..

Thing is, we rarely see an actual MD at urgent care...it's always a "PA-C". A certified physicians assistant. They work (theoretically) under a doctor's supervision, but they're more or less doctors...they can write scripts, order tests, or just about anything they want. They make good money, too...not MD money, but really good money.

How long do you guys think it'll be before you go to the vet's office and see a "VA-C" who can legally diagnose, order tests, write scripts, etc..

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Becoming a certified veterinary technician provides you with a professional edge. It means greater prestige among peers and employers. It means better job security and greater career advancement opportunities.

Veterinary technician certification requirements vary from state to state, but generally requirements can include a diploma from a two-year program and up to three years on-the-job training. More work experience is required for those who did not graduate from an accredited veterinary technician training program.

Your state may require you to complete a certain number of continuing education hours per year in order to maintain your certified status. Ongoing education is an important aspect of maintaining your certified status. It assures the public that your knowledge and skill are current and that you are actively involved in the field of veterinary medicine.

I couldn't find anything about their salary.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Techs are more analogous to nurses in human medicine.. So far as I know, there's no analog for Certified Physician's Assistants in veterinary medicine.

I'm thinking maybe there should be...and I'm thinking that if there was, that would be an interesting career path. Work basically as a vet, but under a vet's supervision...and maybe only handle their goat calls. :D

I'd work that job off commission! :lol:

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
BDial said:
Same here we have 5 that I can think of right of hand. The only reason they haven't retired is they don't want to leave the clients without a vet.
There are five on-staff DVMs at the clinic I go to, and at least three other clinics in town.. Of the five at my clinic, only two work on large animals...luckily, they've got a few years left.

There's only one other large animal vet in town and from what I can understand from folks who have used him...he should have retired years ago. :gig

I had a scary conversation with him one day where he told me there was C/D-T Toxoid and Tetanus Antitoxin, but no such thing as C&D Antitoxin.

:th
Yep know what you mean. I was in surgery with one of the docs and he was almost done with the spay and he said he was having trouble seeing. When it came to the skin sutures he said " you have to finish up I cant see anything. " Thank goodness he had recently given me a refresher on sutures.