What to do with a 12hh pony? *pics*

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm considering fostering a 12-13.1 hh pony for a local rescue. I have the space and the time to work with him. I'm just concerned that I may fall in love with the little guy and want to keep him. What in the world would I do with a pony of that size besides drive him? I really like ponies actually, and I even like their pony attitude! But... I'm 5'8" and long legged, only 120 lbs though...

I've already got a mini who just does tricks and is a companion. I don't have any kids to ride this pony. He needs training, and I could ride him for training purposes, I'd probably look ridiculous.

Should I just try not to get attached and remind myself he's just a foster and moving on to a new home eventually since I have no real use for him?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
What a wonderful thing for you to do. Bringing in a foster pony. I think MrsDieselEngineer hit on something. You could spend that time teaching him to use a cart. And if after a while, you could still find him a "forever" home WITH a new skill.

Good Luck with him. Would love to see pics of your new rescue. :)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making this guy my first "project" pony. Since he's small, he'll be less intimidating and I can work on bringing him up to be a potential little show pony for some kid some day.

I turned a miserable, mean little pony into a nice show pony when I was a kid, so I actually have more experience with ponies than with horses.

I have a friend who's daughter would love to lease him to possibly show some day, and of course I could drive him too. The mini horse I bought for driving may not be suitable after all due to a severely rolled under heel that is throwing his hip out of whack. The farrier said that its as good as it gets and I don't have the heart to drive him in that condition.

So a new prospect might be fun!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent plan. Wishing you luck turning this Project into a success. Also DH had an idea. Have the young girl work with you that wants to lease. That way you can pass on what you learned to another generation. Teach your children well. :)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Sounds like an excellent plan. Wishing you luck turning this Project into a success. Also DH had an idea. Have the young girl work with you that wants to lease. That way you can pass on what you learned to another generation. Teach your children well. :)
That is a good idea. That little girl has taken some lessons and she has a mini horse of her own but he's too small to ride. I'm sure she'd love to have a "real" pony to ride and help out with.

I'd love to "sponser" some horse crazed kid's hobby, since I grew up with non-horsey, non-supportive parents myself.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The little foster boy is here! He's actually more like 13-13.1 rather than 12hh. He is really sweet. I'm very surprised at his temperment for a totally green four year old.

He's just different. I've never met an equine like him. He's unflappable. He's curious about new sights and sounds and certainly on "alert" but he doesn't dare spook at all ever. He's got decent ground manners and is very polite even though I was warned he didn't have any ground training. He leads well, will let my touch him all over and handle him, he picks up his feet and is good for the farrier. He loves being petted and rubbed and loved on. Poor guy had literally been untouched for nearly a year!

He is thin and wormy. He has poor muscle conditioning due to the fact he was in a small paddock with not much room to move around and no grass to graze. He's also a bit cow hocked.

He's certainly going to be a project, but I'm looking forward to it and he's already exceeded my expectations in temperment, manners and intelligence. Now to get his physical condition to match his mental state and he should be a fabulous pony!

I'll post pics when I get batteries for my camera!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Glad to hear the "Foster Boy" is there and that he's really a sweetie. Wishing you luck with the training.

Hope you get batteries for your camera soon so we can see the sweet boy. :)

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the new addition!

888_horses_082.jpg

888_horses_032.jpg

888_horses_044.jpg

888_horses_064.jpg