What to do with a goat with a broken leg?

Reaction score
So my other goats beat up my other goat.. and im pretty sure she has a broken leg. we splinted it and wrapped with that livestock stuff.. so im hoping it will help.. i feel sorry for her

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ahh, have you contacted your vet? They can get that set up to heal properly and prescribe some pain/inflammation medication for her.
I'm guessing you have her isolated now?

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What you've done sounds good. Isolate her, and try to keep her from walking on it.
GO TO THE VET!!
I hope she gets better. :hugs
On a not very nice side, if she's a milker, three legged goats are a lot nicer to milk!

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goats tend to tolerate a cast pretty well, I would call the vet, a splint on a leg that is not correctly set can be a death sentence.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my goats and then one of my babies got stepped on by some people that stopped to see them while we weren't here:(, but one of my brothers was an EMT and my sister is an RN and at the time worked in ER. They set both legs (different times) and neither goat had limps after they healed. The kids leg dangeled. they did a good job

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
People actually just walk into your pens with your goats? I would have a fit. I don't even allow family to go into animal areas without me being there. How rude of those people!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have locks on every gate to every pasture so people can't easily get in there (unless they climb over) when we aren't there. Of course, my Great Pyr won't let anyone in the pasture with her girls unless we're there anyway.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
lilhill said:
Of course, my Great Pyr won't let anyone in the pasture with her girls unless we're there anyway.
Yep...with a Sarplaninac in the barnyard, we have no worries whatsoever about anybody but my wife or myself getting in there to mingle with the goats and chickens. For visitors, that goes whether we're there or not!

I've tried to get him to not bark and intimidate "good" visitors, but when he's mad, he's mad.. There's really no stopping him. He's not completely oblivious to external stimuli -- he will glance at me to show that he sees me -- but he can't not bark...he must bark...and he can't very well bark and listen to me at the same time.

:lol:

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes I was really angry--I had a building these people wanted to "rent" to put their chickens in for a couple of months--so they stopped by and we weren't home, so their children went into my goat pen, cause the babies were sooo cute --yeah sooo cute until one of them stumbled on one of the babies and stepped on him. I was in town and they took the little guy up to my brothers house and my neice was home--she called us--we went out to get him--I really thought we would have to destroy him, but my brother set it with craft sticks, a toliet paper roll and padding and tape. I think one of the horses stepped on the other goat--he was older, we don't really know how it got broken. the horses were really good, I think he just got in the way. But it worked out good. I told those people not to come back--then put no tresspassing signs up.