What to do with CL

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have some mixed breeds goats, I got from a meat goat producer. Today I have a goat that with an abscess under its ear pop with white cream puss. I'm worried that it is CL. What should I do? I cleaned the puss around the ear and sprayed blukote around the area. I' getting a purebred Boer buck and I'm worried im going to screw him up with CL. Do most meat goat producers have CL?

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have some mixed breeds goats, I got from a meat goat producer. Today I have a goat that with an abscess under its ear pop with white cream puss. I'm worried that it is CL. What should I do? I cleaned the puss around the ear and sprayed blukote around the area. I' getting a purebred Boer buck and I'm worried im going to screw him up with CL. Do most meat goat producers have CL?
There is no cure for CL. However, CL abscesses must be treated to prevent ruptures and further contamination of other animals and environments. If you have an animal that develops an abscess: Immediately isolate the animal from the herd.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could take a pus sample to the vet to be tested. Wear gloves. Sometimes goats and sheep get an abscess that is not CL. Call the vet and ask how to get a sample.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could take a pus sample to the vet to be tested. Wear gloves. Sometimes goats and sheep get an abscess that is not CL. Call the vet and ask how to get a sample.
I agree with @Baymule she is correct it also may just be an abscess but if it is cl just if she or he is near any goats still separate from herd just for safety reason.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with separation from the other goats. Better safe than sorry.
Should I vaccinate the whole herd? Even if I don't know if there are CL or not? I cant find any of the yellow top test tubes. That aren't super expensive.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Test first. Make sure that it is CL before you get all upset. My sheep have had abscesses and it was not CL. If you vaccinate, the animal will always test positive for CL or at least that is what I have read. I have never personally dealt with it. Call the vet and test the animal. And ALWAYS quarantine any new animal where other animals have no access to them. If you have to, load up the animal and take to the vet, but do it now before the abscess heals up.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Few things to add.... Agree to separate! Agree to test!

CL will normally be a heavy material, blu cheese looking as to thickness. If runny, quite possibly not CL. Test it. Use iodine to flush wound, wear gloves, keep away from others. It is better to lance before bursting, to prevent the materials from getting onto surfaces to reinfect.

Be sure to use goat vaccine for CL, not sheep which costs less. Work differently. CL can be cysts inside the animal that you may never see. So, vaccinating is good med.

Now, it has been found that some control of CL can be had using Formalin, as there is no cure. Onion Creek meat goats has some info on their & their vets experience. And it's to treat the abscess so it doesn't burst, which can infect more animals.

Augie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Few things to add.... Agree to separate! Agree to test!

CL will normally be a heavy material, blu cheese looking as to thickness. If runny, quite possibly not CL. Test it. Use iodine to flush wound, wear gloves, keep away from others. It is better to lance before bursting, to prevent the materials from getting onto surfaces to reinfect.

Be sure to use goat vaccine for CL, not sheep which costs less. Work differently. CL can be cysts inside the animal that you may never see. So, vaccinating is good med.

Now, it has been found that some control of CL can be had using Formalin, as there is no cure. Onion Creek meat goats has some info on their & their vets experience. And it's to treat the abscess so it doesn't burst, which can infect more animals.
Test first. Make sure that it is CL before you get all upset. My sheep have had abscesses and it was not CL. If you vaccinate, the animal will always test positive for CL or at least that is what I have read. I have never personally dealt with it. Call the vet and test the animal. And ALWAYS quarantine any new animal where other animals have no access to them. If you have to, load up the animal and take to the vet, but do it now before the abscess heals up.

I agree with @Baymule she is correct it also may just be an abscess but if it is cl just if she or he is near any goats still separate from herd just for safety reason.
I don't have a vet and i cant get the correct yellow/red test tubes until the ending of March. Is there any downside of vaccinating anyways even if my herd is negative or positive? Shouldn't be done anyways? The puss was pretty thick and curdy. Is it a once time thing? will she have more swelling? If it is CL.

Last edited:

Latest posts