What to do with dead sheep

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No haying equipment, too expensive, too heavy, too much maintenance (for an old lady!). Still buy hay. The back hoe is great when installing fence! Moves up/down, back & forth, front/back/sideways. There are ditches, trenches, lifting, all sorts of things to do with it! But after I had to dig toe holes to climb out of the last big hole, I retired the shovel and me from that chore. :rolleyes:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once worked at a place in Chambers County Texas, where when something died or had to be put down, it was just drug off to the the far corner of the ranch and left.."to the bone pile". Cows, calves and horses. I'm guessing that little plot of ground is pretty high in calcium now, tho the entire area is today, a huge (and high $$) subdivision.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
My garden is also a grave yard.
Certainly one of the prime uses of gardens! Mine has cats, dogs, rabbits, chickens etc. Again, I think it's something we're not SUPPOSED to do......though interestingly enough, one person can be buried on the land.Best if they are cremated first, I think, as it could be a really negative point when selling the house......"Oh, and under NO circumstances dig up THAT rose bed".....
You have had a rough time lately, it is time for that to let up on you.
It's been a sad year for me. I have lost some of my real pet animals.....the bottle fed lambs who had grown into affectionate and lovely ewes.It can feel very disheartening. With Marilyn, at least her ram lamb is big and doesn't need milk. When Arielle died in March I was left with her two lambs, one of which didn't take to the bottle straight away and needed lots of time and effort to assure his survival.
At times I think that I'll give up keeping livestock. That never lasts for long enough to actually make efforts to sell them, though.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
we have a scrapie program here where which by law any sheep, goat must have ID to move across state lines or be able to go to a processor.

Every State is different. I don't have to have a tag to go to a processor. I also don't have to have tags for low risk commercial goats..."Low-risk commercial goats—those raised for fiber and/or meat; those not registered or exhibited; those they have not been in contact with sheep; those not scrapie positive, not high risk or exposed; those not from an infected or source herd; and those not commingled with other goats at premises that do not meet these criteria." So all of my goats don't need a tag.

I can bring goats into CA without a scrapies tag but they do have to have a vet cert. I can take goats into Oregon or Nevada without a cert or a tag, no one checks. But Nevada wants an ear tag if you are at a show or a fair. Try that with a La Mancha.