What to expect

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,
Two colour pairings in going to discuss.

1. Black self (carrying blue, bew or rew) to a marten smoke pearl.

2. Black self (carrying blue, bew or rew) to a rew carrying opal.

From what I understand-
Even though my black self had siblings who may be opal and black otter.
He cannot carry opal or otter as he is recessive to them.

Marten smoke is a dilute marten sable. Furthermore marten sable is a chinchilla otter.
Chinchilla is recessive to self.

Is there any possibility for me to get-
A black otter in the first pairing?
An opal, black otter or bew in the second pairing?

Does the first pairing only give me black self and the last pairing only give me Agouti (aka. Chestnut)?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/rabbit-coat-color-101.38256/

Black self - aaB_C_D_E_ (You say he is carrying Blue, BEW or REW; does he have parents or offspring that are those colors?)

Smoke Pearl Marten - at_B_cchl_ddE_ (chinchilla is cchd, not cchl, which is the gene involved in sable)

REW - ____cc_d__ . . . . You say "carrying Opal." What does that mean, exactly? Once again, are we talking parents/offspring that are Opal? An Opal colored parent or offspring guarantees a dilution gene (d), since to be a dilute color requires a pair of dilution genes, but an Opal only requires a single Agouti gene (A), which could be paired with any of the A series. Being related to an Agouti patterned animal doesn't tell me that this REW definitely inherited an Agouti gene, so I can't say whether it can pass one on or not (if it has had Agouti babies when bred to a Tan or Self, that's different, of course). If it has an Agouti gene, I can't be sure whether it has two, or one Agouti and a Tan-pattern gene (at), or one and a self gene (a).

So, could you get a Black Otter from the first pairing? Yes, it's pretty likely. Though be warned, I joke that, whatever color you are looking for, it's going to be the last one you see, or the baby that is born with that color will be the one that gets born on the wire, or gets dragged out of the nest box, or comes to some other bad end. That's one of my rabbits' favorite ways to drive me nuts. :he Smoke Pearls have one shaded gene (cchl) and one of either REW (c) or Himi (ch), so if the buck is carrying Blue and REW, you could get shaded, REW, or (possibly) Himi in full color and dilute, in either self or Tan-patterned versions (and yes, it's possible to have a tan-patterned Himi, though it's definitely not desirable).

Can you get Opal, Black Otter or BEW from the second pair? Well, as I said, I can't say for sure yet that the REW has an Agouti gene, so I can't be sure that it can pass one on. That being the case, I can't be sure whether you will get all Agoutis, or even any Agoutis. The only way you'd get Otters would be if the REW is carrying a tan-pattern gene (since you know the Black Self doesn't have one), but you haven't given me a reason to think that it is, yet. As for BEW, why do you think these rabbits are carrying BEW genes? While the unmarked Vienna Carrier is definitely a thing, it's a bit unusual; most colored rabbits with only one Vienna gene wind up with at least a little bit of white on them (Vienna Marked). Vienna is weird that way; it usually advertises its presence to some extent. So, I'm not sure, and it sounds like you aren't either, that your buck has a BEW (Vienna) gene. REW's can carry BEW unseen, of course, but unless your REW is carrying at least one BEW gene, and your buck has one too, you won't be seeing BEW babies from them.

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/rabbit-coat-color-101.38256/

Black self - aaB_C_D_E_ (You say he is carrying Blue, BEW or REW; does he have parents or offspring that are those colors?)

Smoke Pearl Marten - at_B_cchl_ddE_ (chinchilla is cchd, not cchl, which is the gene involved in sable)

REW - ____cc_d__ . . . . You say "carrying Opal." What does that mean, exactly? Once again, are we talking parents/offspring that are Opal? An Opal colored parent or offspring guarantees a dilution gene (d), since to be a dilute color requires a pair of dilution genes, but an Opal only requires a single Agouti gene (A), which could be paired with any of the A series. Being related to an Agouti patterned animal doesn't tell me that this REW definitely inherited an Agouti gene, so I can't say whether it can pass one on or not (if it has had Agouti babies when bred to a Tan or Self, that's different, of course). If it has an Agouti gene, I can't be sure whether it has two, or one Agouti and a Tan-pattern gene (at), or one and a self gene (a).

So, could you get a Black Otter from the first pairing? Yes, it's pretty likely. Though be warned, I joke that, whatever color you are looking for, it's going to be the last one you see, or the baby that is born with that color will be the one that gets born on the wire, or gets dragged out of the nest box, or comes to some other bad end. That's one of my rabbits' favorite ways to drive me nuts. :he Smoke Pearls have one shaded gene (cchl) and one of either REW (c) or Himi (ch), so if the buck is carrying Blue and REW, you could get shaded, REW, or (possibly) Himi in full color and dilute, in either self or Tan-patterned versions (and yes, it's possible to have a tan-patterned Himi, though it's definitely not desirable).

Can you get Opal, Black Otter or BEW from the second pair? Well, as I said, I can't say for sure yet that the REW has an Agouti gene, so I can't be sure that it can pass one on. That being the case, I can't be sure whether you will get all Agoutis, or even any Agoutis. The only way you'd get Otters would be if the REW is carrying a tan-pattern gene (since you know the Black Self doesn't have one), but you haven't given me a reason to think that it is, yet. As for BEW, why do you think these rabbits are carrying BEW genes? While the unmarked Vienna Carrier is definitely a thing, it's a bit unusual; most colored rabbits with only one Vienna gene wind up with at least a little bit of white on them (Vienna Marked). Vienna is weird that way; it usually advertises its presence to some extent. So, I'm not sure, and it sounds like you aren't either, that your buck has a BEW (Vienna) gene. REW's can carry BEW unseen, of course, but unless your REW is carrying at least one BEW gene, and your buck has one too, you won't be seeing BEW babies from them.
black had white, blue and black otter siblings.

The rew had an opal dad.

Thank you by the way!

Latest posts