What to feed bottle babies.

muscovy94

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
HEy everyone I have a question. If I can't find any goat or lamb starter, can I feed a bottle baby regular milk from the store?

Thanks.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I always feed either whole cows milk or goats milk only....replacer is asking for problems...

muscovy94

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Chaty said:
I always feed either whole cows milk or goats milk only....replacer is asking for problems...
I know this is kind of a ditsy question, but don't they sale whole cows milk in a regular grocery store with all the other milk?

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also use regular whole milk from the store or goats milk.

jojo@rolling acres farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions/directions on milk replacer - you should not have trouble. Tons of $$$$, and research time goes into these products. Trouble begins when people overfeed or add things to the formula. You also need to pay attention to general health issues and keep the babies clean and comfortable. Deworm on a regualr basis, etc. Watch for Scours.

Mother's milk is always best, but sometimes that option is just not available. I'll go with results - based on research every time...esp. when a baby's health/life depends on it.

Some milk replacers are universal...meaning they are good for foals, calves, kids, lambs etc. Some are species specific. I've used several and have good results with them. Some are easier to mix than others. Some smell better than others...almost like cheesecake. Some have a higher fat ratio than others. We are currently, using "All Star" for a 4-H bucket calf project with great results...we've also used it for kids with very good results.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Nothing that comes out of a bag / can / in powder form, IMHO, will ever be close to what's always been in liquid form.

I ALWAYS use Vitamin D whole milk from the grocery if there isn't enough goat's milk to go around, never replacer.

We had kids scour on replacer many years ago, and had a lady who's ran huge dairy goat farms tell me to use cow milk instead and....oila, the scours went away.
It's hard for them to digest the replacer sometimes.

I even did a cost comparison last year (trying to save every penny, like we all are) and checked to see how it compared, price-wise.
Even using the cheaper, Uni-Milk replacer was more expensive than buying whole milk on sale. The Kid Replacers are generally more expensive.
I'd get the milk in bulk and freeze it for when I needed it.

As always, to each their own and what works for one won't always work for another....but the majority of small-scale goat farmers I know do use whole milk.

(Whole cows milk just means, not 2% or skim...)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't deal with goats so, I can't advise which is best but, I do want to say, if you go with the milk replacer remember you get what you pay for. Cheap milk replacer is just that, cheap. If you want quality you have to pay for it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I agree 100%, Farmer Kitty.
I'm of the opinion if you can't afford the best thing for the animals, you don't need the animals to begin with. I didn't try the unimilk, just did a cost-comparison to satisfy myself that using milk was best for the animals AND most cost-effective.
I work at a TSC store and have found, though...MOST people who jump into animals, do so w/ the desire to do it as cheaply as possible...heaven forbid they have to spend a little money to deworm, buy good feed, etc.
So we sell the cheap replacers to folks who've bought cheap(er) sale-barn kids, who then come in and then buy the cheapest medicines to clear up the scours, and then complain that "goats are too hard to raise."
:rolleyes:

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I agree 100%, Farmer Kitty.
I'm of the opinion if you can't afford the best thing for the animals, you don't need the animals to begin with. I didn't try the unimilk, just did a cost-comparison to satisfy myself that using milk was best for the animals AND most cost-effective.
I work at a TSC store and have found, though...MOST people who jump into animals, do so w/ the desire to do it as cheaply as possible...heaven forbid they have to spend a little money to deworm, buy good feed, etc.
So we sell the cheap replacers to folks who've bought cheap(er) sale-barn kids, who then come in and then buy the cheapest medicines to clear up the scours, and then complain that "goats are too hard to raise."
:rolleyes:
I hear you!

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think this is always going to be simply a matter of opinion kind of thing. A lot of people will only use milk replacer and prefer it, even when the real stuff is readily available.

I, otoh, am very blessed to have a Jersey and when I was asked to raise a bottle baby calf for a neighbor, I asked him to just keep his replacer at home because I prefer (and have at my disposal) fresh to replacer.

But I do agree that the cheap stuff is probably where the problems come from.

IMOHO, store bought milk and milk replacer aren't too much different.