What to feed?

SHEEP4ME

Just born
Reaction score
I live where there is not a lot of natural grazing so I have been feeding our hairsheep just alfalfa (they are fat and healthy) with a little bit of corn here and there and offered a salt block however now the ewe is pregnant and I am wondering what I should be supplementing with? I have found NO specific sheep grains within 75 miles of us and no minerals either so I would love suggestions as to what grains combined will work for a pregnant ewe and the best places to order online for the other minerals needed. TIA

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
SHEEP4ME said:
I live where there is not a lot of natural grazing so I have been feeding our hairsheep just alfalfa (they are fat and healthy) with a little bit of corn here and there and offered a salt block however now the ewe is pregnant and I am wondering what I should be supplementing with? I have found NO specific sheep grains within 75 miles of us and no minerals either so I would love suggestions as to what grains combined will work for a pregnant ewe and the best places to order online for the other minerals needed. TIA
Most sheep will do fine in the first stages of pregnancy with a high quality grass/legume hay. I personally wouldn't feed alfalfa until after a ewe lambs, just because of issues with possible milk fever. How fat is your ewe? Hair sheep are easy keepers. Make sure they're not too fat going into lambing or you may have issues with dystocia.

Do you have any feed stores at all? Most feed supply store will be able to order in sheep feed for you. :/

SHEEP4ME

Just born
Reaction score
1374_100_3823.jpg

The breeder told us to feed alfalfa so that is what we have been doing, the reason most people around us feed alfalfa is it cost 8.95 a bale and grass/bermuda is 13.95 averaging 90lb bales, I have no idea as to why the cost is so high for grass other than the heat of summer most cannot feed the high protein of alfalfa and therefore they jack up the cost). If she is used to only having alfalfa is it going to be an issue still? She has lambed twice before with no issues.
I do have a couple of feed stores but they are blank when I ask about sheep feed and if they can order it, they seem like its just not what other local people do, I have been asking around with little answers. As you can see by the picture I believe she is a healthy weight.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
SHEEP4ME said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1374_100_3823.jpg

The breeder told us to feed alfalfa so that is what we have been doing, the reason most people around us feed alfalfa is it cost 8.95 a bale and grass/bermuda is 13.95 averaging 90lb bales, I have no idea as to why the cost is so high for grass other than the heat of summer most cannot feed the high protein of alfalfa and therefore they jack up the cost). If she is used to only having alfalfa is it going to be an issue still? She has lambed twice before with no issues.
I do have a couple of feed stores but they are blank when I ask about sheep feed and if they can order it, they seem like its just not what other local people do, I have been asking around with little answers. As you can see by the picture I believe she is a healthy weight.
They look great to me. We're just in totally different areas of the country I believe. Are you in the southwest? Here, grass hay is much cheaper than alfalfa, but that's because we can grow grass easily here.

What did her previous owner feed her during lambing? If she's been on alfalfa the whole time, then you may not have any issues.

SHEEP4ME

Just born
Reaction score
All she has ever been on is alfalfa and corn, but this is my first lambing experience and I want to make sure she is given proper nutrition. I need to get her minerals and grain I just do not know what those proportions/type are.

SHEEP4ME

Just born
Reaction score
Anyone else have any suggestions as to where to buy minerals and types?? I appreciate the help!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hundreds of thousands of sheep are raised on corn and alfalfa each year. Don't worry about it. Your ewe looks healthy and fit.

SHEEP4ME

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will do some more calling around to see if they will order it for me.

southdownranch

Just born
Reaction score
we feed alfalfa to pregnant ewes and lambs as a supplement. otherwise, they graze and have access to bermuda hay. nutritionally, adult sheep don't really need to eat alfalfa - bermuda or timothy is preferable.
we supplement our ewe's grass/hay with 4-way feed or sweet feed, which most feed stores carry. just a cup or so each day is enough. we give all of our sheep free-choice loose salt with selenium, which is specifically for sheep. the brand is champion's choice, and it can be ordered through most feed stores.

best, lynn