jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got down what to feed pigs and get a good product but
Im not sure what to look for in a show brand feed

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
First you need to decide if you want to use Organic or Conventional feed. Organic is more expensive but your pigs and meat will be much healthier for it. Conventional, (or Commercial) feeds are more common and cheaper, but have loads of chemicals, antibiotics and controversial ingredients like soy and cottonseed.

Second, what "stage" your piglets are in, there are generally three formulas and they are based on age; starter, grower, or finisher.

Third is to look for antibiotics or chemicals, most if not all Conventional feeds have them in it to increase growth rates, but occasionally you can find one that's antibiotic free.

Most if not all pre-formulated feeds (bagged feeds) have the correct amounts of protein versus fat etc, it's mainly chemicals, antibiotics and controversial ingredients you need to look for.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yeah I research feed as a hobby but what I wanted to know is about show feeds because their is many different %s of lysine and protein that make them grow into a better show pigs in just 6months instead of just meat pigs which I know how to feed

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To grow showpigs I would look for standard old "Pig 16" or your generic 16% hog feed. There are some very hot feeds out there and they sure make you pay for them! If you want to raise the protein content then I'd suggest doing so yourself. Pick up a sack of DDG and add whatever percentage you want until the protein content of your feed is at the desired level. DDG usually ranges between 26-30+% based on the type you use. If you wanted to amp up conditioning before a show, then I'd suggest adding a percentage of Calf Manna to their feed. It is 25% protein and is packed with nutrients. One trick I have noticed is yogurt, several people mix yogurt in their show hog's feed and the results are pretty nice.

Stay away from anything that says PAYLEAN, that stuff is just plain trash and will ruin your hog. Also watch out for Ractopamine, that is the chemical in Paylean and with the bad PR it gets it is sometimes labeled as something else. I wouldn't run my feed any higher than 22% in total, that is very hot and will put some serious muscle on your hogs while adding emphasis to their most marketable cuts.
I haven't judged any hog shows but I wouldn't give high marks to any hog that was stiff in their joints due to extreme muscling, I'd be more apt to name a solid sturdy hog that showed an optimum carcass for their breed or class as the champion- but remember I am biased and hold to the belief that any hog unable to make it in the pasture isn't worth fooling with.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info because people use all sorts of hot feeds and supplements that make muscle
And make the pig look like a tank
And alot of the feeds are 20% or higher that what confused me because I never have fed any thing other then an 18% then 16% for finishing and I normally feed that with boiled eggs that with good genetics and alot of walking and I get a pig that fits my standards but alot of people use the other feeds and supplements during the show session but I guise if it fits my standards and I can sell then its most likely good enough

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No matter what trends come and go, a good middle of the road type of pig will ALWAYS sell and will likely prove to be better stock in the long run.

Latest posts