what to use for bedding

slightlyscrambled

Just born
Reaction score
Whats the best thing to use for bedding for an outside rabbit?
Pine shavings
Straw
Hay?
:idunno

Reaction score
slightlyscrambled said:
Whats the best thing to use for bedding for an outside rabbit?
Pine shavings
Straw
Hay?
:idunno
I would think straw would go the longest out of those 3 without molding, but I really dont know...

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use pine pellets for my ducks... They are impossible to accomodate and the pine pellets have held up great. I put them in unexpanded.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I normally use straw for my rabbits when they are nesting. That works a lot better tan shavings. If it is really cold I might give them a little hay to keep warm in. Straw seems the best though. They also eat it just like hay.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To collect urine, pine shaving are your best bet.

kapfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
we had better luck with no bedding at all! Rabbits can tolerate cold better than heat. put a pan under the cage and your rabbits stay a lot cleaner, so does your cage! when your rabbit has babies, she will provide her own bedding with her fur in the nest box.

waynesgarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kevin said:
we had better luck with no bedding at all! Rabbits can tolerate cold better than heat. put a pan under the cage and your rabbits stay a lot cleaner, so does your cage! when your rabbit has babies, she will provide her own bedding with her fur in the nest box.
I couldn't even consider not putting nesting material in the box. I've already lost newborns to the cold this fall. I have one doe that pulls enough fur to birth a horse in comfort but most others are pretty lazy and it would be a recipe for disaster.

I have a wire floor on the nest boxes. On top of that I lay a piece of cardboard. (The lid of the box our copy paper comes in fits perfectly.) In the cardboard lid I put a few handfuls of pine shavings and then fill it loosely with hay. The does seem to like to dig down to the carboard and shred and tear a bit of it. By the time she's ready to pull fur, she's mixed up the materials in the nest to her liking.

I don't worry abou anything getting moldy. I clean out any goopy bedding after the kits are born. Then, depending on how large the litter, sometime from Day 7 to Day 9 I'll dump all the contents of the box (minus the kits) onto the compost pile and give all fresh bedding.

Wayne

GreenGoddess

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering about this too.. I've got an unlimited supply of newspaper from a friend of ours but I commonly use pine shavings for my chickens.. Everywhere I've read says NOT to use pine shavings.. But i notice many of you say it's ok.. What's up with that? Why would the "expert" sites say not to use it? I would love to mix both newspaper and pine shavings if at all possible.. Pine soaks up a lot of the smell from animals...

Goddess :bun

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GreenGoddess said:
Everywhere I've read says NOT to use pine shavings.. But i notice many of you say it's ok.. What's up with that? Why would the "expert" sites say not to use it?
Goddess :bun
Pine is OK, cedar is a big no-no.

Goatzilla

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If they're gonna be indoor cage bunnies, you can't beat pine pellets for bedding.