What to worm her with?

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This past Friday we bought a recently freshened Nubian doe and buckling pair from Texas. Matilda is a first freshener and kidded on May 22. She will be 2 years old in July.

She was acting strange the day after got her and had bad diarrhea. She was also anemic and wasn't moving around as much as I would have liked.
We took a fecal sample from her and brought it to our local vets office, and they said that she had triple strongyle type worms, and that we could deworm her using SafeGuard. I KNOW we had some SafeGuard (at least half a bottle left) but upon searching for it, I couldn't find it. That was yesterday.
Today we are going to TSC to pick up a dewormer and a red cell horse product to give her, but what I want to know is which dewormer would be best? Ivomec, SafeGuard, Corid or...?
Right now we have pelleted Ivomec (I've never heard of it before, but that's all our local feed store has at this moment). I will give her some of it until we can get a better dewormer.

So far (since we got her I mean) we have given Matilda electrolytes, B Complex, Jump Start (from Jeffers), and some garlic and cayenne. She has had grain free choice but hasn't had much of an appetite for it. She also has alfalfa/orchard hay from TSC to eat.

Thanks in advance!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you call your vet and ask about using the Ivomec pellets so you know the correct dosage and for how many days to use it(maybe you did this already)? You will probably need to run another fecal so many days after you finish giving the Ivomec- again probably verify with your vet.

@Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will call them soon.
Someone on here once told me that pelleted dewormers don't work as well. My Mom should bring home some kind of dewormer from TSC this afternoon though.

Our vet said to bring in a fecal sample from Matilda in two weeks, so that they can see if it's working.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a reminder -corid is not a dewormer.;)
Since she just kidded, and has also been moved she is really high risk.
I would do safeguard for 5 days @1ml per 10lbs and in a mmonth follow up with cydectin or ivermectin.

IMO pellets are useless, you don't know how much they are getting so there is no accuracy in dosing.

Everything you are giving her is great BUT add in the PROBIOS!
Also with electrolytes - do not leave out in water bucket. Drench only and keep refrigerated.

Is she eating at all? Hay, alfalfa? I know you said she wasn't interested in feed.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
LOL, I actually never heard of corid until this morning, I just read it somewhere on a different website talking about cocci. Thank you!

I forgot - we did give her a little bit of probios yesterday evening, but not much. I will give her more of it today.

She is eating alfalfa hay like a champ, but doesn't like alfalfa pellets at all. The only other feed I've been able to get her to eat is beet pulp (the pelleted kind) and some sweet feed mixed with BOSS. But she doesn't love it as much as I think she should though. She eats leaves (dead or just fallen from trees) and grass. She also seems to have perked up a bit.
She is thin too. I just took a few pictures of her and will upload them soon.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do we need to get the red cell horse stuff for her or is it not needed? Does anyone else have any experience with using it?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do we need to get the red cell horse stuff for her or is it not needed? Does anyone else have any experience with using it?
You may be better off using blackstrap molasses and or kelp. I would ask your vet about. I know that is what I would do. How anemic is she?

As long as she is eating that is good. The alfalfa and forage are great for her.

I would dose 2-3x probios.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She seems to be better today than she was yesterday. Moving around a bit more, not as "sulky".
I think she has gotten tired of me trying to shove things down her throat. :confused: That doesn't mean I won't do it anymore though. ;)

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

And here is adorable Geoffrey Charles. He is black and white with some gray moonspots. :love
IMG_3144.JPG

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a reminder -corid is not a dewormer.;)
Since she just kidded, and has also been moved she is really high risk.
I would do safeguard for 5 days @1ml per 10lbs and in a mmonth follow up with cydectin or ivermectin.

IMO pellets are useless, you don't know how much they are getting so there is no accuracy in dosing.
disclaimer:
I AM NOT A GOAT PERSON.
You don't feed Safegard type pellets to goats like it's done with cattle--by weight of the animal?
All medications that I know of, are by volume, only a small % actual 'medicine'. This holds true for human as well as animal medications. Also holds true for liquids, including injectables and orals, as well as gels and creams and medicated pellets. The vast majority of the 'stuff' in the container is a carrier or inert ingredient used to:
1. Make measurement easier for us humans.
2. Ensure uniform mixing when manufactured.
3. Increase shelf life.
4. Make the medication (in oral form) to be more palatable.
5. retain the active ingredient in suspension over a period of time. (liquid and even squeezable form)
If one buys the 10% Safeguard suspension, you are only getting 10% actual medication. In a 1000mL bottle there is just 100mg of Fenbendazole for every ml of total solution in the 1000mL bottle.

Same for the 5% pelleted dewormer I use. There's only 2.3 grams of Fenbendazole for every pound of pellets. The rest is feed and coating to hold the pellets together and to protect the sprayed on/vacumed in main ingredient, and that medication application process is highly regulated and tested by both fda and the companies themselves.

All the dewormers I've ever used (except pour-ons*) all go according to the weight of the animal so that part remains the same for all. In each type application, we also have to just go by the label directions regarding how much to give each animal, so that's the same as well.
I separate each animal with the pellets, and they'll lick the bottom of the feed container out if you let them, so I know each one gets his/her correct amount, as long as I have weighed, taped or estimated their weights correctly.
I actually prefer pellets for some of my cattle. They don't like shots and have long memories. Had lots of liquid dewormer end up on me or on the ground even with good guns when the animal coughed, spit, slung or snorted it out right after I administered it.

(More and more cattlemen are using Safegard in range cube form nowadays with good results.)
*Pour on dewormers have been shown to be the least effective way to administer the active ingredients, with some lab tests showing less than 1% of the active ingredient actually getting where it needs to be.

It's all up to personal preference, but if fed correctly, pellets, IMO, are as good as any other oral method. When you start getting into 4lbs per 1000lbs animal weight, or 1 mL/10lbs, nothing is very exact.
If the animal is 'off it's feed' then pellets can be more difficult.