What to you use in the summer for bedding?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey ya'll!

I am in Texas, and it gets HOT through the summer. I was wondering what you put down in your goat sheds during the summer. Right now, I have straw down but was thinking there might be something else that might be better for summertime. What do you do?

Thanks!
Melissa

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My baby sis in Texas uses nothing.

Dirt floors/ground in shelters.
Okay next question how to you clean up the poop? It is easy to scoop out..sort of if you have something on the ground. Also, does she worry about poop/pee smell in their shelter? I just want to make sure we do not stink up the neighborhood. It surely saves me money to put nothing down.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay next question how to you clean up the poop? It is easy to scoop out..sort of if you have something on the ground. Also, does she worry about poop/pee smell in their shelter? I just want to make sure we do not stink up the neighborhood. It surely saves me money to put nothing down.
She has a bunch of dung beatles, but she lives where it is super dry.... so it rakes up and shovels out pretty easily.

She has enough land that she doesn't care about smells and such.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can use agriculture lime in your shelter to help with any odors. Ag lime is not the lime that burns and dissolves things. You can get it at Tractor Supply... just tell them you wan the lime that goes in the stalls.

I don't put down anything for the goats. Each shelter has two pallets in it that the goats sleep on when the want to, otherwise they snooze out in the dirt.

I rake up the dirty hay from the hay rack and goat berries and put that in the gardens. You aren't going to get all the berries so don't stress out over that.

You do have a unique circumstance with your wee critters in a suburban setting... a true backyard herd.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can use agriculture lime in your shelter to help with any odors. Ag lime is not the lime that burns and dissolves things. You can get it at Tractor Supply... just tell them you wan the lime that goes in the stalls.

I don't put down anything for the goats. Each shelter has two pallets in it that the goats sleep on when the want to, otherwise they snooze out in the dirt.

I rake up the dirty hay from the hay rack and goat berries and put that in the gardens. You aren't going to get all the berries so don't stress out over that.

You do have a unique circumstance with your wee critters in a suburban setting... a true backyard herd.
I was hoping I would hear from you! :) Thank you. I will look for some of that too. Luckily my neighbors are not super close like a subdivision and the people that purchased the house next to us, closest to the goat shelters, said the goats were one of the reasons they bought the house lol. My original 3 like to sleep on the shelter roofs. I find them there in the evening when I put my chickens up. lol. They are so funny! I have to go to TSC today so I will look for the lime then. I plan on cleaning the straw out this afternoon. Thank you for always being so helpful!

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Is that the same thing as barn lime?