What to you use in the summer for bedding?

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can use agriculture lime in your shelter to help with any odors. Ag lime is not the lime that burns and dissolves things. You can get it at Tractor Supply... just tell them you wan the lime that goes in the stalls.

I don't put down anything for the goats. Each shelter has two pallets in it that the goats sleep on when the want to, otherwise they snooze out in the dirt.

I rake up the dirty hay from the hay rack and goat berries and put that in the gardens. You aren't going to get all the berries so don't stress out over that.

You do have a unique circumstance with your wee critters in a suburban setting... a true backyard herd.
This is great for ’sanitizing’ the stalls especially after lambing! We have had an especially wet year so dry straw and a really light sprinkling of lime on the concrete underneath (I do sweep it up and toss it on the compost before putting down fresh straw) but the residue seems to help keep things ….well….less than nasty..in between cleanings.,

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just use sand in my lambs stall right now. It works so good, like a cat litter box. I have a sifting pan that I toss the poop through and the sand goes back in the stall. Everything is very clean and Dutch doesn’t get poop, pee or bedding on his legs.