What to you use in the summer for bedding?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey ya'll!

I am in Texas, and it gets HOT through the summer. I was wondering what you put down in your goat sheds during the summer. Right now, I have straw down but was thinking there might be something else that might be better for summertime. What do you do?

Thanks!
Melissa
Hello-

I'm in Florida, so I can relate to the heat. And I have just a tad more land than you. My two ND girls have a small barn with a sleeping bench. As far as ground bedding, I put down a bunch of play sand (like you would put in a sandbox) and then sprinkle over some diatomaceous earth to cut down on the bugs. I top it off with coastal hay. For cleaning, I just rake out the hay (most of the goat berries seem to come with it). If I see that I need more sand, I add it. I always put a fresh dose of diatomaceous earth (regardless if sand is needed or not) before adding new coastal hay.

Have fun with your herd!
Kristie

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello-

I'm in Florida, so I can relate to the heat. And I have just a tad more land than you. My two ND girls have a small barn with a sleeping bench. As far as ground bedding, I put down a bunch of play sand (like you would put in a sandbox) and then sprinkle over some diatomaceous earth to cut down on the bugs. I top it off with coastal hay. For cleaning, I just rake out the hay (most of the goat berries seem to come with it). If I see that I need more sand, I add it. I always put a fresh dose of diatomaceous earth (regardless if sand is needed or not) before adding new coastal hay.

Have fun with your herd!
Kristi

Hello-

Have fun with your herd!
Kristie
Thank you!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey ya'll!

I am in Texas, and it gets HOT through the summer. I was wondering what you put down in your goat sheds during the summer. Right now, I have straw down but was thinking there might be something else that might be better for summertime. What do you do?

Thanks!
Melissa
I use a sand base and wood chips on top. I’ll take suggestions too in in the wet heat of Florida.