What type of guardian do you use?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
For those that use livestock guardians, please let us know what type of guardian you use. Leave a comment to let us know why you use that type over the other options.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Llama's, German Shepherds and Anatolian Shepherd.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dog. Karakachan/Great Pyr

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
We've just recently added a donkey to our herd of goats. Lots of coyotes, and our eastern coyotes are big. Recent studies done by the NH fish and game show they have wolf DNA.... :ep

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 Maremmas. We have cougar, bobcat, coyote, small predators and arial predators on 250,000 acres. I need something that will be able to access all my pastures and is interested in 'guarding up' as well, to protect our free range chickens.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Right now, the only guardian that we have is me and an assault rifle. We have 9 dogs but they are stuck in kennels. So when they start barking I load up the rifle and run out. I'm getting pretty good at it. The goats come to the barn and I sit out in the dark. Haven't lost any animals to coyotes, but we've lost a lot of them to neglect by the landlord. I'd like to smack him around a bit and shake him up. Seriously though the real problem here other than the landlord is rounding up goats that have sneaked under the fence and are in the neighbors hunting land. I spend a lot of time doing that. I'm starting to feel like an LGD and a herd dog.

I've devised a goat cookie that works pretty well at luring errant goats to the hole under the fence. The deer are starting to follow me home as well. (Seriously.)

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Right now, the only guardian that we have is me and an assault rifle. . . .
I love your style! :lol:

We're just getting started with our farm and have two GP's and one Kangal. We are looking for another Kangal or Boz since we prefer the Turkish LGD's.

:)

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since we have all manner of predators. Since our 2 large guard dogs were killed by packs of coyotes ( also my nieghbor lost 3 large guard dogs to packs of coyotes), I now use my 12 Ga shot gun, a .22 and a .308 . My neighbor uses a . 227 and a .3030. So, we too are the guardians with lethal weapons and our small dogs are our eyes and ears.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs...because I already had them and they proved their worth, so I didn't need to look further.